17 Year Old Morty...on A Cat Exercise Wheel!!!

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Took a big chance to see if my cat Morty - now almost 17, but you'd never know it! - would even be interested in walking/running on a Cat exercise wheel! Been researching them and found a great used one, and my friend was nice enough to drive me the 100 mile round trip to pick it up in his truck.

There are tons of videos of cats running, and GALLOPING on these wheels and so I had my doubts that Morty would even go near it, especially since most of the cats I've seen on these wheels are Bengals, which are naturals at running on the wheels. Morty is a 50/50 mix of Tabby and abyssinian, which is probably a factor in his taking to it.

To my amazement and relief, within the first few minutes he was walking on it as if it was his normal routine! I was holding a treat above him as a training tool, but he should be doing this on his own pretty soon.

I think a big reason he took to it, even at his advanced age, is because he's in such excellent health, very fit and active. Only wish I'd thought of this years ago.

mortprofile.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update! Was just in the kitchen getting lunch and I peered around the corner and there was Morty, walking on the wheel, without any prodding from me! Wow! So Awesome!

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am BLOWN AWAY! I didn't have a good cat wand thingee with the mylar tassels so I used a couple long cable ties and shook them above Morty's head and he started RUNNING on the wheel after it! He can be a super fast cat when darting at light speed from room to room, so I'm sure as he gains more confidence, he will go even faster. But this is after hardly ANY experience on the wheel. All the sites that sell wheels say that it may take weeks for a cat to get used to the wheel, if at all. So much for Bengals being the only (or close to only) breed that takes to these wheels naturally. Morty may be the oldest cat ever to actually be running on a cat wheel.

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Morty almost flew off the wheel, but somehow managed a great save!

Last edited:

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I filmed him today - this time is high quality HD - actually breaking into a GALLOP a couple times!
Morty must be the fastest and fittest 17 year old cat in the world! Check it out:

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Full on Gallop, he flies off at the end!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful. I want one so badly I keep looking locally for the one that someone else's cat never used.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful. I want one so badly I keep looking locally for the one that someone else's cat never used.
After I saw your post, I did a quick web search for used cat exercise wheels. There is a used one for sale on amazon now for $140: Toy-Go-Round Cat Exercise Wheel:Amazon:Pet Supplies, it says it's in very good condition, which means someone probably bought it, had a cat that didn't use it, and is now trying to sell the wheel.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
After I saw your post, I did a quick web search for used cat exercise wheels. There is a used one for sale on amazon now for $140: Toy-Go-Round Cat Exercise Wheel:Amazon:Pet Supplies, it says it's in very good condition, which means someone probably bought it, had a cat that didn't use it, and is now trying to sell the wheel.
I seen that one I also watched a few videos on how to build one. One manufacturer also offers a 60 day refund with a deduction for restocking/having to replace some parts that cannot be sold used. I'm guessing the tread.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I seen that one I also watched a few videos on how to build one. One manufacturer also offers a 60 day refund with a deduction for restocking/having to replace some parts that cannot be sold used. I'm guessing the tread.
I'm also considering trying to build a cat wheel, in case your cat doesn't like it, I suppose you could always try to sell it for as much or more than you spent on the materials.

Morty is definitely an inspiration for cats everywhere! If he can run that wheel, I don't see a reason that my 7-year-old Charlie could not be able to get accustomed to it!
:walk::woohoo:

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Btw, Morty is now going to the wheel continually throughout each day, on his own and loving it. It's like he can't get enough and making up for 17 years without one! Yes, I had thought about getting one for Morty years ago, but didn't think he'd use it. Boy was I wrong! Proves it's not just for Bengals! :)