17 Year Old Male Cat...not Himself One Day, Overnight Had Bad Diarrhea,threw Up Bad..now Sickly

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
<<<---My 17yo Maine coon mix cat was not his outgoing energetic self on Tuesday
Woke up Wednesday morning ,overnight he had bad diarrhea near the cat box...what looked like food but a puddle of white fluid
Wednesday morning, he threw up bad. Looked like food related.

All day today, Wednesday, he has been hiding/sleeping, unresponsive to us calling his name, has been drinking water, but not wet or dry food. He kinda chewed on a cat treat but kinda didnt eat it.
3 times i was able to get him to hop on the bed, and treated him to a brushing---he loves being brushed.

I am trying to figure out what made him, suddenly, throw up/diarrhea,get sick---I am thinking maybe bad cat food (the brand that never has been recalled)
Also thinking, internal senior age health problem.

3 months ago, he came down with a very bad respiratory illness, treated by antibiotics.
There is no sign of respiratory illness, this present illness.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's 17, get him to the vet for a thorough check up. Just like older people, the sooner the problem is looked at the easier it is to treat. It doesn't seem to sound real bad, but again with his age it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hope it is something simple and easy to care of. Also hope others on this site may have more insight to help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Likely will bring him tomorrow if he does not pep up.
I come here to this forum to try to be educated and narrow in what may be going on. I live in a rural area and vets are few. Nearest Vet after 5pm is 90 miles away.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish more people were responding to give additional ideas. The fact that he has hopped up on the bed 3 different times is good, but being unresponsive to you calling him isn't.

I wouldn't be overly alarmed just yet. It's not gone on that long yet. I didn't mean to alarm you. It's just that with his age, you don't want to drag it out too long. So, if you can get him to vet tomorrow that should suffice.
I hope he remains stable - or gets better overnight. Let us know what's going on when you can.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i need help. Vet care in my area is extremely poor and limited.
Looking for direction.

My cat has been sick for 3-4 days.
My vet has been on vacation this week and will not be back for 3 more days.
My vet's pre recorded phone message is ,if an emergency, to bring your pet to a clinic, 90 miles away. Last time i did that my cat died on the way

Sum up:
My cat was not his energetic self Tuesday
Wednesday, he threw up, bad diarrhea
Wed thu now Fri...hiding ,introverted,sleeping,drinking water, nibbling on food from time to time. He slept on his pillow next to my pillow last night, which he had done almost every night for over a year- He will come to me for a fur brushing.

7 months ago, he went to the vet, an xray showed 'he had gas'.
3 months ago, 3 weeks with a bad respiratory infection--handled by antibiotics.
Never been sick in 17 years before this year, except when as a stray, he was really messed up. Indoors 100%

Any thoughts?
I have been thinking bad cat food he may have ate on Tuesday than got sick
Also, if it is gas again, i believe that hints at a serious health ailment.
Or, all 3 health issues this year is pointing at a one major health issue.

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry your kitty is feeling ill! Unfortunately, the best help you will get is from a medical professional that can physically examine him. I understand how hard that is in your area and the distance, but the symptoms are pretty vague and can lead to a whole bunch of different ailments. A vet clinic could do blood work or other tests to determine what is going on. If you do go, I recommend bringing a fecal sample in case they need it - especially with the distance it would be good to be prepared.

Sending good vibes to you and your kitty! :vibes:

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Understood.
Going to check to see if they have been any new cat food recalls.
Or perhaps bad cat food allotment.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No cat food recalls on the brand he eats
<<<<thats him at 16years old, His coat is so silky,it feels like you running you hand across warm cream butter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Understood.
I had a cat die on the way to the vet, but he was in a serious condition, and your cat doesn't sound like that. I'd opt to make the trip, and if the vet feels he's unwell and you're comfortable with it, consider hospitalizing so if he does have difficulty you won't be forced to make the trip again.
I hope he checks out OK. Cats are masters at masking their symptoms when they're sick, and stuff like "not eating, lethargic" could point to virtually any problem out there.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its Friday evening,on Monday morning i will bring him.
The vet he has does not return til Monday and does not take emergency call.
There are 2 other vets in the area and refuse to see him immediately.
Traveling 90 miles, 180 RT---with a $130 office visit before anything else, would be difficult,but mot out of the question.

He is stable still; eating,still drinking. I am right beside him almost 24 hours/around the clock.
He listens to this as he rests

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This the about 5th day of being sick
He is eating ,drinking. Got up and walked around. Even jumped up to a table, about a 4ft jump. Then pranced around like look at me.

So for the moment, he is looking like he is getting better. But have had enough cats to know they sometimes get spurts of energy, then go back to being sick.

Btw, if you post a reply, i will read it although i may not reply right away.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like he is at least stable. Good that he is still eating and drinking. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything remains stable over the rest of the weekend.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Understood.
Thanks for being with me as my cat is ill.
He's continuing to look like he is improving.

I quoted my earlier post on cat food recalls. I checked sites,his brand was not on it. The brand is FF. I dont want to name it. The brand has never been recalled.

However, about 4 days Before he got sick, he was given cat snacks from a non name brand cat brand. I kinda protested to the person giving it to him...i dont trust non name brand. However, i would think 4 days to make him sick rules out that non name brand

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Question about the delay time of cat food poisoning effects to show up.

I would think if a cat ate bad food, the effects will occur from immediately to 1 day or 2 days. Is 5, maybe 4 days later unlikely?
As i stated above. about 4 days before he got sick, he was given cat snacks from a non name brand cat brand---which i didnt get told about til yesterday, the 4th day my cat has been not felling good.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
It would be best to get your cat looked at by a vet, that eliminates the uncertainty.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He will about 8-10 am in the morning. When my vet gets back from vacation.
I live in a bad,poor, vet care area. There is maybe 1 vet per 20000 population ratio.

He looks to be recovering, but i want to know why he got sick.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is 17, so there are a lot of things that can affect one at that age. So glad you're getting him to a vet! Hope they will be able to do a full check up on him - and there is nothing seriously wrong. Please tell us what you know after vet visit - and best of luck!!