16 Year Old Urinating Issue

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Roscoe will be 16 this July and over the past few months, he has decided to try and wake me up every couple of hours to feed him. He will only eat canned food now and if I don't get up to feed him, he pees on my sheet or on the carpet near me. I've taken him in for a full workup and there is no urinary tract infection. Blood work checked out ok - kidney levels are a little elevated but nothing to worry about yet according to my Vet.

I have a Feliway collar on him and switch it out regularly and he is still being a little stinker! Any ideas from anyone about what else I can do for him? And for me so I can get a good night's sleep. He is 100% indoors and shares the inside of the house with 4 lovely girl kitties, who are also 100% indoors. I can't just leave extra food out for him because the other cats will eat it.

Thanks!

Kim

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to consider a spacious kennel, like a large dog kennel for Roscoe to stay in overnight. This way he could have his food, a litter box nearby and a bed while you get a full and dry night of sleep.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, there are automated food dishes that have a door activated by a chip on a tag on a cat collar, that could help.
What happens if you put him in a separate room, or as mentioned a big kennel?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried to separate him but that is certainly an option. I also have an extra small bathroom I could isolate him in although I hate to go that route. I may have to, though. I could also get automated food dishes. Honestly, I may try the automated food dishes first. Great ideas ladies. Thanks.

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I love him dearly but the peeing on me is getting old! I was at first concerned he was trying to tell me something but nothing checked out at the Vet so....he's just being ornery. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Well that's a pretty big behavior change, you're right to be watchful :redheartpump:. Thanks ever so much for being such a caring cat person!!

taxcatkim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went this morning and I bought two automatic feeders and I also bought a different dry food for senior kitties to see if maybe I can get him to train me again to put that down during the night. My vet had recommended at one point trying amitriptyline but I don’t know if I want to go the medication route quite yet. Any thoughts on medication for this type of behavior ?