16 pounds but healthy?

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, just wanted to make a quick post as I wonder if this is normal. I took Toby to the vet this weekend for his annual shots, and they did an annual exam as well. Because of this whole Coronavirus, the vet is now a drive-up and no one other than the pets are allowed inside.
when I got the receipt, I was looking and it said his weight was a little over 16 pounds. The vet did not say anything to me about his weight, but when I did a little research it said that most tabby cats don’t weight more than 12 or 13 pounds and if they do they are overweight.
So is my kitty overweight?? Why does he weigh so much??

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! He looks gorgeously perfect to me, and obviously your vet felt the same, that he is in excellent body condition. Every cat is different and shouldn't be compared with others, especially regarding weight/body condition :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! He looks gorgeously perfect to me, and obviously your vet felt the same, that he is in excellent body condition. Every cat is different and shouldn't be compared with others, especially regarding weight/body condition :)
Agreed. That looks like a beautiful, healthy cat to me too. If the vet had noticed an issue, they would have told you. Some cats are just bigger than others and some are just smaller. My Lilith is tiny. She's fully grown, healthy as a horse and weighs just under 5 pounds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay! That makes sense, the vet just never even came out to talk to me, so I really wasn’t sure, and when I called them the girl on the phone really wasn’t able to tell me anything! I appreciate the response :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too think she looks healthy and not overweight in the least. She may have some Maine Coon in her background which would make her a big boned large cat. I think all vets are doing the drive in type care now. It does cut out being able to ask questions during the exam but it is for the best right now.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Each cat is different and its best to go based off body score then weight/breeds especially for domestic short/long hairs. I find cats who were strays as kittens for at least 4 months but usually 6 months tend to be smaller adult cats if they are fending for themselves. It's just because a kitten won't grow to be big if they don't have a constant food source.

Basically if you have to push hard to feel the ribs and spine, the cat needs to lose weight. If you can feel the spine very easily, the cat needs to gain weight. :)

catcon.png