15 Yo Kitty Issues

sharonwitch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m having a few recent issues with my girl Bootsie-curious if anyone has any ideas. She has an underlying heart issue & has been on Atenenol for about 6 months. She had blood work done in August & everything was good. Very recently she’s been overly hungry & wanting to eat her sister’s wet food, which she never has shown any interest in. I’ve been giving her a plate of her own, but she still tries to find hers & will lick that one clean as well. I thought maybe her teeth were bothering her, but she eats hard treats & I have seen her eat dry food as well. I’m thinking it may possibly be thyroid related? She also sometimes throws up/dry heaves a little & does a weird exaggerated swallowing thing. She has a vet appt on Thursday so we’ll run blood work again.
I also just realized that her hearing is not good at all. If I walk in a room & she’s sleeping, she doesn’t notice even if I make noise. I used to think she was sleeping heavily due to medication, but I was overlooking hearing loss. I think this has been gradual, but I never had this happen with a cat. Is this fairly common & should I be worried? I guess I worry it could be caused by a tumor of some kind. She also had cancer a few years ago - the lump was removed & she’s been cancer free, but she seems prone to health problems!
Thanks for any suggestions until my vet appt.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there, may I ask what kind of cancer she had? Do you know what stage it was?

Depening on which type it was, some are more likely to come back than others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharonwitch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, may I ask what kind of cancer she had? Do you know what stage it was?

Depening on which type it was, some are more likely to come back than others.
She had a cyst-like lump on her side about 8 years ago. We had monitored it & it started to get larger, so the vet removed it along with a large section of surrounding tissue. The lump came back as cancerous, but it didn’t spread at all. Sorry I forgot the exact term for what kind of cancer it was.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a 15 year-old and her hearing has definitely been declining. I can sneak up on her when she is sleeping and I never used to be able to. The vet told me it is very common in older cats.

Abby has flip-flopped over the years between eating more dry food vs more wet food. For quite a while now it's been almost exclusively wet food. She has to really hate what I've given her and be starving to much on the dry.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know where you live, but if the weather is colder it might have caused Bootsie to eat more. Even here in Florida on the 'colder' days I noticed Feeby will eat more than on the warmer days. I don't know if she would do that day after day of consistent colder weather, because generally we get a cold day and the very next day it is much warmer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharonwitch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live, but if the weather is colder it might have caused Bootsie to eat more. Even here in Florida on the 'colder' days I noticed Feeby will eat more than on the warmer days. I don't know if she would do that day after day of consistent colder weather, because generally we get a cold day and the very next day it is much warmer.
I live in PA and it has been colder here - today it's below 0 lol. But she always seems to be cold. I know most cats like to sit where it's warm - the radiator or dvr - and she's always snuggling up right next to me. So I don't know if it could be related to that or not. I guess it's possible.