15 Year Old Male Cat With Diarrhea

kuri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I had to switch my cat's food to something else because the local store here stopped selling what I usually give him. It is the same brand but different flavors so I didn't think it would be a problem. Well, the last two days he's had diarrhea, and today it is really watery. Do you think he will make it till tomorrow to see a vet before he becomes super dehydrated or should I rush him to an emergency one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is wet food, Fancy feast chicken pate to be exact. I had to switch to their poultry and beef one instead.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Beef makes my two throw up... it could well be the cause as a fast transition can cause problems.
Having said that, I think if he's got really watery diarrhea, the vet's the place to go. Cats don't do well without nutrition. :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy feast has many other chicken varieties, I would try one of them, or even a chicken pate in another brand. If teh diarrhea hasn't cleared up, make sure he is drinking plenty of water, try a teaspoon of pure canned pumpkin in teh food, it is fiber. If he is not drinking, get him to a vet to be hydrated with a subQ injetion, works very well.