15 year old cat pees at the door, yowling to go outside

jeas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
People says cats aren't spiteful, but I think my cat is pissed off because I won't let her outside.  She bolted out a few weeks ago and had a heyday, but I really don't want her outside.  If we are outside, she will pee at the front and back doors.  Her litter is clean...I am a stay at home and I clean it probably 2-3 times a day.  I have 3 cats and 4 litter boxes.  This is beginning to really cause a problem.  I am half tempted to just put her outside and leave her there.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 15, she is beginning to have a little senility in her life. She liked it outdoors and now doesn't understand why she can't go back out. You may try a dog kennel to give her and the others a little safe outdoor time, or train to the harness, like was mentioned above, that takes a few weeks and starts by getting them used to the harness indoors.  She has spent 15 years indoors, so she should revert back in time. There are many dangers outside, I have buried too many to not warn you, so supervision is a must if you let her out. That is why an enclosure would be nice. My older male did this too, and I hate to tell you but it took almost a year for him to stop peeing on the door, but he eventually did. You must find a good enzyme cleaner for cat urine to combat the smell. I feel for you, it is very frustrating to go through this. I have one cat that absolutely has to go out, he picks fights with the others, shreds furniture and yowls constantly if not. I worry that he will get killed like many others around here, but it is the only option after trying since kitten hood to keep him in. With him, it is quality of life, not quantity and we have to accept that.  I let him out at first light and have to drag him in at night. Thank you for seeking advise, I hope you find a solution!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She spent 12 years as an indoor/outdoor cat when we lived in the south.  We had a kitty door and they would just come and go and we would keep them in at night.  Three years ago we moved to Alaska. I have friends that keep their cats indoors in the winter and then let them out in the summer.  Not sure how that will work with a bad winter.  I think no matter what I do in regards to letting them outside one a kennel type thing, they are gong to want more...more freedom.   Although dogs seem well behaved, most in the area we live run loose, so that is a concern.  She is also a good hunter.  The time she got out she brought me lots of presents, birds and voles.  Today I bought her a collar with a bell, to maybe give the birds a fighting chance.  To make matters worse, today one of my males, right in front of me, walked into the family room and pee'd on the tv cabinet!  I love my animals, but I can not have them them ruining my home.  I have appts. set up for them both at the vets, but at this point, barring a medical issue, they are going to have to go out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for a very kind, understanding reply.  Since my original post, one of my males has started marking. This is totally freaking me out.  My husband tolerates 3 cats, not very tolerant of cats that will destroy the house.  Since my first post, one of my males, 6 yrs. old,  has starting marking.  I have never had a cat do this before and I have had cats all of my life!  Pippin has never marked or not gone in the litter box.  Last night, right in front of us, he let out a stream of urine on our tv cabinet!  I always thought spraying was spraying, but the vet said it can be a healthy stream.  I took him in to rule out bladder infection and he is clear for that and diabetes.   They sent out for a culture to make sure it wasn't an infection, and wanted to rule that out before putting him on prozac.  So now I have 2 cats that are marking up my house.  I am sure the 3rd one will want to follow suit.  I live in Alaska and really didn't want them outside, because what do I do in the winter?  We do have a large sunroom that I am thinking of somehow closing off or having my husband build a large cat enclosure in there.  I surely do not need this stress and neither does he as he is having some cardiac issues.