15 year old cat is sick, please help

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Lily, is 15 and thankfully hasn't had many health problems. She has an enlarged heart but we've been monitoring it over the years and it hasn't gotten worse, so the vet doesn't seem very concerned about it. Anyway, last night she had diarrhea a few times and today she threw up. I don't think she's eating either. She was acting fine up until a few hours ago, then she started acting very lethargic. She's just laying there and won't respond when I call her, and if I pet her she turns away from me. She's moving very slowly and over all just looks very unwell. Her third eyelid is showing too. I know it can show sometimes when cats are sleepy, but I've never seen hers show this much.

I'm very worried about her. Especially because I'm currently unemployed... I have no idea how I'll be able to afford a vet visit. What should I do?? Any idea what might cause this, or how I can help her? Please help, I'm kind of panicking. I'm so scared of losing her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does Lily go outside at all where she might have gotten into something? Anything new in your home, or different, that she could have been exposed to? You need to look at all these kinds of aspects to help determine what might be going on. If you come up with some ideas, please let us know.

Sadly, at her age, she is likely going to have to be seen by a vet if her symptoms don't clear up in the next day or so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does Lily go outside at all where she might have gotten into something? Anything new in your home, or different, that she could have been exposed to? You need to look at all these kinds of aspects to help determine what might be going on. If you come up with some ideas, please let us know.

Sadly, at her age, she is likely going to have to be seen by a vet if her symptoms don't clear up in the next day or so.
She's an indoor cat, never goes outside. I'm fostering 2 kittens right now and recently introduced them to Lily (they were quarantined for 2 weeks before I introduced them). But they haven't spent much time together. The kittens are in separate room with the door closed most of the time, and when they're not in the room, Lily avoids them like the plague so they haven't really been in close contact. Nothing else has changed recently.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Lily! To help keep her energy up and help hydration, you can try rubbing Karo corn syrup or honey on her gums as well as syringe unflavored pedialyte into her mouth. You can get a needleless syringe from a pharmacy, often at little to no charge.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
princess7807 princess7807 it could be she caught something from the kittens being in the same house or someone touching a kitten then her or contact between clothing. The kittens might fight it off easily but not as much her.

Try to get her eating and give her space to rest. Perhaps even a box with some nesting items. They found in shelters that it helps cats to heal faster.

If it doesn't clear in a few days, she will need a vet visit and likely bloodwork. Hopefully the link Furballsmom Furballsmom gave you can help.

If you're in Canada, you can contact a place like Farley's Foundation for assistance.

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
princess7807 princess7807 it could be she caught something from the kittens being in the same house or someone touching a kitten then her or contact between clothing. The kittens might fight it off easily but not as much her.

Try to get her eating and give her space to rest. Perhaps even a box with some nesting items. They found in shelters that it helps cats to heal faster.

If it doesn't clear in a few days, she will need a vet visit and likely bloodwork. Hopefully the link Furballsmom Furballsmom gave you can help.

If you're in Canada, you can contact a place like Farley's Foundation for assistance.
She's been sleeping in her favorite spot (It's one of those fabric ikea bins, she uses it as a bed haha) since last night. She seems like she just wants to be alone and tries to move away when I pet her :( Whenever she walks, she seems... sort of confused? Like she'll just stand in the same place and stare for a few minutes before going to lay down again.

I called the vet and they basically told me it was pointless to bring her in unless she has diarrhea or is vomiting because at this point they would probably just recommend putting her to sleep rather than traumatize her with all kinds of testing. I don't know what to think. Is this really it? Should I call a different vet?

5cats1dog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Lily, is 15 and thankfully hasn't had many health problems. She has an enlarged heart but we've been monitoring it over the years and it hasn't gotten worse, so the vet doesn't seem very concerned about it. Anyway, last night she had diarrhea a few times and today she threw up. I don't think she's eating either. She was acting fine up until a few hours ago, then she started acting very lethargic. She's just laying there and won't respond when I call her, and if I pet her she turns away from me. She's moving very slowly and over all just looks very unwell. Her third eyelid is showing too. I know it can show sometimes when cats are sleepy, but I've never seen hers show this much.

I'm very worried about her. Especially because I'm currently unemployed... I have no idea how I'll be able to afford a vet visit. What should I do?? Any idea what might cause this, or how I can help her? Please help, I'm kind of panicking. I'm so scared of losing her.
I've learned to always get a second and if need be get a third opinion. Hope this helps

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I called the vet and they basically told me it was pointless to bring her in unless she has diarrhea or is vomiting because at this point they would probably just recommend putting her to sleep rather than traumatize her with all kinds of testing. I don't know what to think. Is this really it? Should I call a different vet?
Different vet - from a different practice to avoid colleague bias. No vet that I would continue to go to would say such a thing to me without me telling them 'Goodbye'. Whatever records this vet has, get copies of them all - they are yours for free - and then you can share those with another vet. You owe it to Lily, and yourself, to pursue this a little further.

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Different vet - from a different practice to avoid colleague bias. No vet that I would continue to go to would say such a thing to me without me telling them 'Goodbye'. Whatever records this vet has, get copies of them all - they are yours for free - and then you can share those with another vet. You owe it to Lily, and yourself, to pursue this a little further.
I've been calling around to practically every vet clinic in town but most of them are completely booked. But thankfully I found an emergency clinic that takes walk-ins.. it's an hour away but it's worth it. Hopefully they can figure out what's going on.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been calling around to practically every vet clinic in town but most of them are completely booked. But thankfully I found an emergency clinic that takes walk-ins.. it's an hour away but it's worth it. Hopefully they can figure out what's going on.
I had to do a three hour emergency drive in a similar situation: VERY worth it. I know you are probably quite nervous right now but take deep breaths, try to be there & anchor yourself….calm energy helps you think (and drive safely). We are here for you. :redheartpump: Your cat might protest the drive but she’ll thank you for all the help you are giving her! Good luck!

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a little update: Lily is feeling much better! The vet thinks she just had a stomach bug or something. She's eating/drinking again and acting more like herself. She was even running around and playing last night! I'm SO relieved that she's feeling better :redheartpump:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful update! It takes a stalwart heart to be caregiver to the elder human, cat, dog or horse - minor issues can be so alarming at times; but the satisfaction of knowing that they are in our loving care brings rewards beyond compare.