15 week kitten and 6yr old cat…confused!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ERR53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Play biting is a normal part of play. It simulates the "kill move" cats use in the wild. When play is equal, opportunities to do it are few and it doesn't last so long. When there is a big size difference, sometimes the kitten feels helpless and lays there and sometimes the young adult (big kid!) enjoys a long play bite. It can be a little uncomfortable. You know what a head noogie is? Like that. Its not, however, real, or the kitten would be dead. No permanent damage is done.

What happens when big human bro gives little bro a head noogie? He cries for mom. But in 5 minutes he wants to play with big bro. He gets a net benefit from big bro even though big bro is kind of a jerk with the head noogies.

Its the same with cats. The kitten will make noises, but then act like nothing happened in a few, even solicit play. Its a bit unfortunate that big cat bro plays like this but it is both common, and it is what it is. Kitten is getting a net benefit, and you can't use words to train big cat bro. Not that words really help that much with big human bro.

So while you can gently break it up, but you don't need to worry or feel like its your job.
Thanks for info! It sounds like murder when Larry starts kicking off but he then bounces up again and is running around haha so then George chases him again and it keeps continuing. I just get so panicky when George doesn’t let go of him despite the commotion. Boys will be boys! 😂

ERR53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well a little update…so they have been getting on well and play fighting with each other, sleeping near each other and playing - they have even been left unsupervised with no issues at all. However the last week or so George (resident cat) has started slightly growling/hissing at Larry (kitten) again when he gets too close, not sure why this is happening again as everything had been great. Is George maybe just having a bit of a grumpy period maybe?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
growling and hissing are just a warning, he probably got a little hurt when Larry got a little carried away. he is setting limits. Everything sounds good!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if George manages to smack Larry so that Larry rolls across the room to a wall, it's not a bad thing. It's more of the same except Larry didn't have his feet planted right and tipped over. You'll notice he leaps right back up and either returns to George, or gives George a bit of a break. No blood, no gashes, no hiding all the time, all is good.

ERR53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes before this happened they had been playing a bit rough with each other so I am wondering if Larry (kitten) has maybe hurt George (resident cat) somehow. He really doesn’t want Larry anywhere near him at the moment, even the sight of him makes him hiss and run away. Hoping they will get back to normal again soon as they were getting on so well! 😞

ERR53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the hissing and growling is still continuing from George (resident cat), he has even hissed at me a few times which so not like him (only when Larry has been near me though). Larry has been at the vet yesterday to getting neutered so this probably hasn’t helped the situation. Do you think I am going to have to go back to step one and start all over again? George just seems so annoyed with Larry and won’t let him anywhere near him!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats returned from the vet carry all those horrible vet smells with them, not unusual at all for George to not recognize him. It happens all the time. Sometimes my cats growl or hiss at each other for a few days before they lose that scent. That is why when they are ready for exams, vaccinations, etc. I bring them all at once. Wipe Larry down with a warm washcloth (no soap) or rub him witb a towel and see if you can rub George with the same one to transfer smells. Don't force him though. This will pass with time......

ERR53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The boys are slowly getting back to normal and have been playing and running around again 😊. There are still a few hisses and growls from George (resident cat) mainly when Larry is using something he wants or if Larry gives him a fright! I will try and post a video of them playing again. Thanks for the reassurance, it sure does help! 😊

ERR53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are the videos as per previous comment, it’s looks a little rough but they are always taking it in turns and seem to enjoy having a bit of a rough and tumble with each other!

Larry and George

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You got Larry in January I think? It has only been two months! I truly think that it is remarkable how well they are doing. Like I said, I had one batch of cats, two and two (two different families) that took over a year before they finally got along. Yours are doing just fine!

ERR53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Di and Bob for the reply. Yes we brought Larry home on the 25th Jan, he is coming up for 6 months now! Seems like they are really figuring each other out now and will be best bros one day soon. 😊 pic of Larry below!
IMG_0930.jpeg

ERR53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG, he looks like a plush little boy! Beautiful! I’m afraid I would be petting him all day!
He’s the cuddliest boy and always by my side. So is his sweet big brother George…
IMG_8945.jpeg