14 Yr Old Persian Not Pooping With Purse String Stitch After Rectal Prolapse

Glory77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello!
I’m new here. My sweet girl had a rectal prolapse end of last week which didn’t resolve itself so took her in to our vet to have it fixed. They gave her a purse string stitch to keep everything intact while her rectum heals. Two days later she reprolapsed, had to take her into emergency pet clinic to have stitch redone as it was too loose. Now I’m starting to wonder if this vet made it too tight as she has not had a normal bowel movement since last week.
I brought in to have everything checked 2 days ago, and vet said it was normal that there’s only diarrhea leakage & some softer stool around her anus. But I’m getting concerned that he created a dam and she’s got a big buildup of poop wanting to get out behind that stitch.
Her appetite is great...wet food with canned pumpkin purée added.
Anyone ever go through this? I feel so bad for her...I’m scared once the stitch comes out tomorrow that she’ll reprolapse pushing out everything that’s stuck inside

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no experience with this, but that sounds like a long time not to go poo. She gets the stitches out tomorrow? Hopefully everything will go well. let us know, i will worry about her. sending you guys best wishes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Glory77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called vet and he wants to see her this aft lernoon to assess the stitches...said he might need to loosen them up to let fecal matter to exit. Will let you know how it goes! Thanks for your concern

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called vet and he wants to see her this aft lernoon to assess the stitches...said he might need to loosen them up to let fecal matter to exit. Will let you know how it goes! Thanks for your concern
Im glad she is going in this afternoon. I think the sooner the better! I will keep you guys in my thoughts. Do give us an update tonight if you get a chance!:crossfingers:

MidniteRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m also going through the same thing but my kitten is only 12 weeks old. Please keep us posted

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is an older thread and the members who posted have not been back to TCS for several years.

In rereading the original post, if your kitten is experiencing this you need to get back to the vet or at least keep them up to date on what is happening. Your kitten is very young at 12 weeks which makes this serious. Kitten is not pooping? Showing other signs of distress?

MidniteRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gaia has been to the er vet twice now and the shelter vet twice. She had a rectal prolapse due to diarrhea. They put it back in and did a purse string suture at the er vet but over compensated and she could not pass her poop. Took her back and they removed the stitch and gave her two enemas but when she pooped she prolapsed again and they had to do the procedure again and re stitched her. She is on lactulose, albon, metronidazole, and now as cream as well. She still has the stitch in and shelter vet says there is nothing more they can do. Said to take her to my regular vet. I adopted her from the shelter just a week and a half ago.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that the shelter is writing you off, but it is not atypical. Often they do what they can with limited resources and then expect the new adopter to continue on with a regular vet. Do you have a vet who is not an ER only vet? Can someone recommend one for you if you do not...a friend or coworker? ER vets do not diagnose or treat beyond what is apparently an emergency, which is their purpose.

Going to an ER might be costing you more and, if money is an issue, finding a regular vet is a good idea. If there is a cat only vet clinic (not cat friendly, but one who treats only cats) you might consider that option.

MidniteRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I do have a regular vet. I will be calling the office in the am to see if they can fit her in soonish. The reason I went to emergency vet was bc it was during the New Year’s Eve weekend and all regular vets were closed. My counties animal control picked up the bill bc it was within 7 days of her adoption.

Is there anything I can do to help her in the meantime?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There was nothing wrong with going to the ER on a holiday; you were trying to help her when no vets were available.

How is she in general? Does she seem ill, eating, peeing, normal activity? Does she have diarrhea or is she constipated? The stitch is still in as I understand this. Make sure you tell your vet, when you call, the story so far so that they might get you in quickly.

MidniteRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she is eating and drinking normal. She is not however, as active as she was on that first day I brought her home. I have to wait until next week to take her to my vet and was looking for ways to help her. This morning I had to help her poop.

MidniteRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems like she just can’t get the poop out of her rectum. This am’s poop was soft not dry and hard and it still only got to her rectum and stopped. Am wondering if the two purse string procedures have damaged the nerves in her rectum. Would this be possible?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If she is retaining fecal matter, she needs to see the vet. I am not a vet, but your question about nerve damage to the rectum is certainly reasonable. Try to get an appointment with your vet as soon as possible. She may be in discomfort from all these problems, too. Was she able to get some out with your help, or is she impacted?

MidniteRaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is now pooping but still not as much as I think she should be. Her anus and rectal swelling has gone down considerably with the help of preparation h and silver sulfidine. I have made an appt with my vet for a check up and the removal of her purse string stitches. Will keep you posted. Thank you for answering my questions and letting me bounce questions on you

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am glad to hear that there is some improvement and let us know what your vet says.