14 Weeks Old Kitten Is Suddenly In Bad Shape

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got a kitten from a shelter at the age of 9 weeks. At the shelter he was dewormed and tested for feline leukemia (was cleared).
We have had him for about a month now and all was fine until suddenly last night he started having a bad dihharea, and threw up. In the morning he continued throwing up foamy stuff, later it was watery and greenish. He refused to eat or drink. He became weak and not active.
We have 2 other cats at home and both of them are totally fine (one is a kitten too).
2 weeks ago we fumigated the house for fleas. Cats were at my friend's for 2 days. The garage was also fumigated but was closed for the cats for a week. Just in case it matters.
I took him to the vet this morning (not our vet) and described everything the same way I did just now. Kitty threw up while at the vet twice. The vet did not test him for anything but said it is likely some stomach bug and gave him a shot of cerenia. The vet said if the kitty doesn't get better within 24 hours to bring him back. And all that was for $115. This was this morning at 10 am. It is now 5.30 PM. The little guy is still lethargic and weak. He threw up few more times in the morning but finely at 4pm he drunk some water and didn't throw it up. His sides look sunked in and he just suddenly looks skinny. What is wrong with my little guy? Our vet doesn't work tomorrow either and I somehow feel like the vet I took my kitty to was neglectful and didnt check him for what he needed to be checked for.
Please help. Also in the morning the vet said the kitty's temperature was fine, but the kitty has been on a heating pad all day. Seems like he wants to be in a warm place

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well cerenia is fine and expected, that specifically helps with vomiting and this sounds like the correct first steps without specifically testing for suspected diseases or doing more intensive things like xrays or full bloodwork... Keep the kitten warm, you could try a little mash of chicken and rice to help settle his stomach. It is possible the cat may need fluids, that is the one other thing i would have expected the vet to do that you didn't mention. Does your clinic have only one vet or is there another there you could see? I would have him back in to ANY vet, take the papers stating what the previous vet did. If he puked after receiving cerenia he may need more or may need something else. At this point I might recommend bloodwork too if it doesn't clear up soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well cerenia is fine and expected, that specifically helps with vomiting and this sounds like the correct first steps without specifically testing for suspected diseases or doing more intensive things like xrays or full bloodwork... Keep the kitten warm, you could try a little mash of chicken and rice to help settle his stomach. It is possible the cat may need fluids, that is the one other thing i would have expected the vet to do that you didn't mention. Does your clinic have only one vet or is there another there you could see? I would have him back in to ANY vet, take the papers stating what the previous vet did. If he puked after receiving cerenia he may need more or may need something else. At this point I might recommend bloodwork too if it doesn't clear up soon.
This was not our vet that I took the kitty to. I think our vet would have done a better job. But our vet doesn't work Thursday and Friday. I called all the vets in the area and none had an appointment except this one. And no they didnt ro fluids or any testing (didnt ask about tape worms for exampke). I am so disappointed! They just thought it was a stomach bug that will probably pass. But my kitty is not looking too good

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then I would follow up at the one he was already at. Get his temp taken again, more cerenia and fluids for dehydration. Demand to know more, ask a lot of questions, don't leave confused or without a plan for the weekend, more cerenia perhaps or a fluid line to take him or something else entirely.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I think you're in the clear regarding the fumigating, the timing isn't right I don't think.
He'll be skinny, he's not got anything in his little system. Can you get him to eat some Kitten Glop? There are recipes on the internet, if you can try to make one with goat milk.

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I think you're in the clear regarding the fumigating, the timing isn't right I don't think.
He'll be skinny, he's not got anything in his little system. Can you get him to eat some Kitten Glop? There are recipes on the internet, if you can try to make one with goat milk.
I got some baby chicken food and will force feed him tonight. I just hope it's nothing that we can't take care of without selling our kidney to pay for vet bills

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Then I would follow up at the one he was already at. Get his temp taken again, more cerenia and fluids for dehydration. Demand to know more, ask a lot of questions, don't leave confused or without a plan for the weekend, more cerenia perhaps or a fluid line to take him or something else entirely.
I was thinking to wait till Saturday and get him to our vet if needed (our vet works on saturdays). Unless of course an emergency visit is needed before Saturday. I called the shelter I got my kitten from and they will give me some tape works meds tomorrow just to make sure we take care of it in case that is the reason he is sick

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you say you saw tapeworms? I mean that isn't likely what is causing this. I would not give him unnecessary medications until the vet sees him again. A shelter dispensing tape worm medication would be pretty irresponsible on their part.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t wait until Saturday. Take him tomorrow. And I agree with jen jen , what the kitten needs most right now is hydration, don’t give him tapeworm meds if you don’t see tapeworms. (He’s not vomiting worm segments, is he?) By the way, have you seen him poop at all in the past two days? I know it’s hard to tell with several cats at home, but he should be defecating or at least have some stool in the colon even if he’s not eating.

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you say you saw tapeworms? I mean that isn't likely what is causing this. I would not give him unnecessary medications until the vet sees him again. A shelter dispensing tape worm medication would be pretty irresponsible on their part.
T

Well they gave it to me and I applied it on the kitten. I am not an expert and they deal with these things all the time so I trusted their judgement. Thankfully, the kitten felt better at around 10 p.m. Asked for food, ate, and moved around. And the next day seemed back to normal (except he looks skinnier after not having eaten or drinking in 24 hours). He plays, eats, and drinks :)

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t wait until Saturday. Take him tomorrow. And I agree with jen jen , what the kitten needs most right now is hydration, don’t give him tapeworm meds if you don’t see tapeworms. (He’s not vomiting worm segments, is he?) By the way, have you seen him poop at all in the past two days? I know it’s hard to tell with several cats at home, but he should be defecating or at least have some stool in the colon even if he’s not eating.
Yes he has been pooping. And no I haven't seen worms, but he did have fleas before so I gave him tapeworms meds that the shelter gave me.
The little guy feels a lot better. He eats, drinks, and plays. Thank goodness!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I would like to know why in the world a vet would not want to do any kind of test. Throwing up twice right in front of the vet was enough to make a good vet say he needs a blood test for everything. I would have collected that vomitus and sent it to the lab for testing an abdominal issue.

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would like to know why in the world a vet would not want to do any kind of test. Throwing up twice right in front of the vet was enough to make a good vet say he needs a blood test for everything. I would have collected that vomitus and sent it to the lab for testing an abdominal issue.
Yes. I know. But he didn't. And it was an expensive visit too :(