14 Week Old Kitten Trying To Suckle On Dog

Joandlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_0166.JPG
Mowgli my 14 week old siamese kitten has since I got him (2 weeks) been trying to suckle on my shipoo Dexter. Dexter loves Mowgli and are the best of friends and whenever Mowgli try's to suckle Dexter gently pushes him away. Is this normal behaviour? Mowgli was still nursing off his mom when I got him.

Last edited:

thricenine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, can I just ask for clarification: did you get him two weeks ago, or when he was two weeks old?

Also, how/why did you adopt a kitten who wasn't weaned?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joandlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, can I just ask for clarification: did you get him two weeks ago, or when he was two weeks old?

Also, how/why did you adopt a kitten who wasn't weaned?
I got him two weeks ago he is now 14 weeks. I thought he was weaned and just nursing every now and then

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got Stewart when he was about 10 months old and he was a suckler. He liked fleece blankets. He later upgraded to humping things over the next 2 years. He's 5 years old now and not really sucking or humping on anything anymore

Joandlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got Stewart when he was about 10 months old and he was a suckler. He liked fleece blankets. He later upgraded to humping things over the next 2 years. He's 5 years old now and not really sucking or humping on anything anymore
Lol I guess he's not doing any harm

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens who get separated from their mothers too early will often show these behaviors (usually with wool, but in your case I guess Mowgli sees Dexter as a suitable alternative), as suckling mom was a big source of comfort for them. You could try to give him some catnip mice or similar toys to chew on, although I suppose that as long as Dexter isn't too bothered by Mowgli, then there's no real problem. There isn't anything medical going on, this is purely behavioral. Occasionally, cats who try to suckle wool will begin to develop pica behavior, at which point you need to be very careful not to leave any strings or hairties around the house, if these are accidentally ingested, they could become lodged in the GI tract which would be a medical emergency.

Joandlily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all that information that was great.