14 week old kitten still tries to ‘nurse’ on my fingers/face

Finnelys_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,
How do I get my kitten to stop trying to ’nurse’ on me? He was a feral and found on a roof, nursed by hand for a couple weeks and I got him around 7-8 weeks old. It does it when he’s sleepy, it’s almost like a cat pacifier. I fear if I let it go on too long he‘ll do it forever?? TIA

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one kitten that nursed on my finger. If she was tired or upset it was either listening to her scream for hours or walking her while she nursed. I let her do it until she was a year old and very slowly began cutting down the time allowed it until I quit all together

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try covering your finger under a wool knitted scarf/blanket or fake suede blanket? Wash the blanket with unscented laundry detergent/softener so it doesn’t have a funny taste.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Finnelys_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you try covering your finger under a wool knitted scarf/blanket or fake suede blanket? Wash the blanket with unscented laundry detergent/softener so it doesn’t have a funny taste.
If I cover my hands, he tries to nurse on my face. 😂 It’s almost easier to just let him do it because otherwise I’m pushing him off all night. Sometimes I can fall asleep with him sucking on my finger. Last night I feel like I didn’t sleep at all, thankfully, it’s not every night.

Finnelys_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was semi feral when I first brought her in. Now 8 yrs old she still chews my necklace and bracelet though not as much. As your kitten ages the nursing will stop
Hopefully he outgrows this soon!

Finnelys_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try letting him nurse for a few minutes, then take your finger away and say “all done”. If he comes back for more, set him on the floor. If he persists, shut him out of the room. If you are consistent with the routine he may learn that “all done” means just that or there are consequences.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi All,
How do I get my kitten to stop trying to ’nurse’ on me? He was a feral and found on a roof, nursed by hand for a couple weeks and I got him around 7-8 weeks old. It does it when he’s sleepy, it’s almost like a cat pacifier. I fear if I let it go on too long he‘ll do it forever?? TIA
I think that when the time is right he will start to do it on his own or with some help. Right now I think it is a security thing and is okay and feeding him a bottle till he is ready to stop is a good thing. He is just now old enough to be off the bottle but who really knows when his last meal from Mom was.