14 week kitten won't let wife sleep

ddpb2112

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my wife and I are in a studio. We've tried to establish boundaries with the kitten. It's allowed on the bed, but we're going to completely ignore it until the alarm goes off. For the most part this works for me. It'll cuddle up against us and maybe sniff my face a few times early in the morning. He seems to prefer pestering my wife though. He'll sleep on her face/neck and has started to groom her hair and lick her ears. So my questions are:

Are these realistic boundaries to set for a kitten?

Would pushing him away or gently tossing him off the bed send the wrong message, that we want to play?

Is there such a thing as a cat repellent that we could just put on the bed?

Thanks

lola skywalker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Same thing happened to me every morning with my 3 month old kittens. My friend told me that their mother used to lick them a lot when they were younger so that is what they are doing to me, perhaps to show that I am now part of their family. As much that I appreciat they are now have accepted me in their lives, it is driving me nuts every morning when one of them start sniffing and licking all over my face and forcing me to wake up.

I have no choice but to push them away or turn my back against them.

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had the same issue with my cat Benjamin.  He would wake me up every morning at 4am by biting me hard on the nose and he would keep on and on until I got up..  He thought I had slept long enough and he was hungry.  All this would happen as my husband snored to high heaven. I guess Benjamin knew there was no chance his dad was getting out of bed. The bad behavior completely stopped when I decided to adopt a second kitten.  I know you probably don't like the idea of adopting a second.  I surely didn't either but it was the best thing I have ever done.  You probably won't listen to my advice. I understand. I wouldn't have either.  Benjamin was a surprise addition to our family and I certainly didn't want the trouble and expense of a second cat. I am glad I changed my mind.   I can say for sure that it was life changing for me.  I wish you and your new kitty the best of luck!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had the same issue with my cat Benjamin.  He would wake me up every morning at 4am by biting me hard on the nose and he would keep on and on until I got up..  He thought I had slept long enough and he was hungry.  All this would happen as my husband snored to high heaven. I guess Benjamin knew there was no chance his dad was getting out of bed. The bad behavior completely stopped when I decided to adopt a second kitten.  I know you probably don't like the idea of adopting a second.  I surely didn't either but it was the best thing I have ever done.  You probably won't listen to my advice. I understand. I wouldn't have either.  Benjamin was a surprise addition to our family and I certainly didn't want the trouble and expense of a second cat. I am glad I changed my mind.   I can say for sure that it was life changing for me.  I wish you and your new kitty the best of luck!
That sounds like the best answer, actually.  The kitten is looking at the husband and wife as fellow kitties and treating them as such.  Why?  Because he doesn't have a playmate. That's one reason why I never got only one at a time, that they might be lonely without a playmate. 

If you're going to get a 2nd one, it's a good time to get one before the kitten gets older and might be less accepting.