14 week Kitten eating 3 times the recommended amount

SliverKn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive got a 14 week burmese kitten who came home just over a week ago and he is nuts for food.
I dont want to restrict any young, growing animal's food but he'll eat about 3 maybe 4 times his amount of recommended food. I cant even free feed to let him graze as its gone the moment i put it down.

Im feed him good quality wet food. (Animinda Canrney, Smilla, Applaws) and Ive starting mixing it with more dry food to slow him down.

He's been wormed every 2 weeks and he's due another in a couple days time. Should I stick to his recommended portioms or just allow him to eat until he stops(which he never does...)
Hes otherwise very happy and healthy, always wanting to play

Ive had a few puppies and dogs but even they wouldnt eat like he does!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just keep feeding your kitten as much as he wants to eat :) Kittens are eating machines, some more than others. They need a lot of food to grow and will not get fat. Ignore the suggested portion size stated on the package. Many people feed both canned and dry food to kittens.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yep, just feed him as much as he will eat. Male Burmese cats can grow to be quite large, much larger than female Burmese, so he needs all the nutrition he can get. They tend to be rather muscular, so plenty of protein is essential.

I suggest giving him canned and dry in separate bowls, rather than mixing it together. You want the dry to stay dry, so it swells in his stomach and makes him feel full. Dry found tends to grow bacteria if allowed to get wet, so it's safer to keep it away from moisture.

Congratulations on your new kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SliverKn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, just feed him as much as he will eat. Male Burmese cats can grow to be quite large, much larger than female Burmese, so he needs all the nutrition he can get. They tend to be rather muscular, so plenty of protein is essential.

I suggest giving him canned and dry in separate bowls, rather than mixing it together. You want the dry to stay dry, so it swells in his stomach and makes him feel full. Dry found tends to grow bacteria if allowed to get wet, so it's safer to keep it away from moisture.

Congratulations on your new kitten!
Thank you. I mix it because he'll eat it too fast and it acts as a "buffer" in a way. He will literally inhale any wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SliverKn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just keep feeding your kitten as much as he wants to eat :) Kittens are eating machines, some more than others. They need a lot of food to grow and will not get fat. Ignore the suggested portion size stated on the package. Many people feed both canned and dry food to kittens.
Alrights. Im just suprised that he's eating about half his body weight per day. He doesnt weigh a lot

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ditto to everything here. I was shocked how much our kitten ate until the past couple of months as she reached a year old.