13 Years Old Cat

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have adopted a cat. She is 13 years old. The first day she was hissing so bad and since beginning she is hidden under the bed just come out to eat her food and drink and litter box.
Today she did not eat or drink all day and then in the evening she ate and used litter box and the started vomiting . I scared so much cause this is my first experience to have a cat. The previous owner told me maybe it is hair ball or due to the stress. I am afraid if she is sick and I am student with low budget. I do not know what to do. :(

MYkittychance123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well if it is a ferball than there are special diets for cats that have ferball issue if that’s why she is vomiting than wiskas cat food formulated to help cats with ferball issues is what you use. If it’s stress than just let her be and keep her calm and show affection but it’s hard with old cats but keep trying. If it is not working than it’s better to tack it to the vet. And props to you for tacking in that old cat also the cat food isn’t expensive and should fit your budget.:hyper::lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave her exactly the same food she had before and it is Wiskas. I bought her treat also. I can not show affection since she is under the bed all day and she start hissing if I try to get close to her:(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you giving her any canned food? That might make her come out from under the bed. Also, you can try petting her with something soft with a long handle.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats, especially older ones need some time to adjust to a new home. It is pretty normal for the cat to hide or to not eat for a short while. The vomiting is also likely from her being nervous. Give her time to relax and wait for her to come out on her own. It might be a day or it might be a week or more, every cat is different.

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you giving her any canned food? That might make her come out from under the bed. Also, you can try petting her with something soft with a long handle.
I am afraid of giving her canned food since she had vomiting. But I will try to find something to pet her with and see if she likes it or not . Thanks for your suggestions

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most cats, especially older ones need some time to adjust to a new home. It is pretty normal for the cat to hide or to not eat for a short while. The vomiting is also likely from her being nervous. Give her time to relax and wait for her to come out on her own. It might be a day or it might be a week or more, every cat is different.
Yes I heard from other friends as well to give her time. It is the third day since she came to my house. I hope she feel safe soon.

MYkittychance123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sit next to her as much as you can when she is under the bed and she will warm up to you. That poor cat could of been harassed and abused so keep her calm even if she hates you ok

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible her vomiting because I gave her too many treats ?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know the previous owner well? Was that the cat's only owner, and did she say that the cat was a friendly cat or skittish cat? If the cat was friendly with the owner, then she will warm up and bond with you. It will just take some time. Do you know why the owner rehomed the cat? I have a 13 year old who I've had since a kitten, and something disastrous would have to happen for me to not take care of him for his remaining years.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, be careful of the treats. I would try some canned food. I've never heard of canned food causing vomiting. Cats need the moisture.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking in an older cat. I'm sorry to hear things haven't been going well so far. Did you get the cats medical records from her previous owner? You'll need these so that you can let your vet know what vaccines she's had and keep her up to date on these. Does the cat have a history of hairballs and vomiting? If she has a medical problem she could be in pain, which is why she is hissing and hiding from you.

Why did the previous owner re-home her?

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you know the previous owner well? Was that the cat's only owner, and did she say that the cat was a friendly cat or skittish cat? If the cat was friendly with the owner, then she will warm up and bond with you. It will just take some time. Do you know why the owner rehomed the cat? I have a 13 year old who I've had since a kitten, and something disastrous would have to happen for me to not take care of him for his remaining years.
Her previous owner had her for 8 years since she was 5 years old. The owner said that she had an operation and have to take care of her parents and she can not have the cat anymore however she and her friends asked about the cat every day and gave me hints . She said even for her, it took 5 days the cat start to discover her surroundings. She said the cat is so sensitive

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you are in close communications with the previous owner, you might invite her to come over. Perhaps the cat would be comforted by the visit and come out of hiding to explore your house a bit.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless she has an underlying health issue then the vomiting is probably due to stress as susanm9006 susanm9006 suggested. Keep calm and don't rush things and she will become more confident in her own time. I got Oliver when he was ten and he did his share of hiding under furniture for a while and not eating. He now owns the home. Patience is key.

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking in an older cat. I'm sorry to hear things haven't been going well so far. Did you get the cats medical records from her previous owner? You'll need these so that you can let your vet know what vaccines she's had and keep her up to date on these. Does the cat have a history of hairballs and vomiting? If she has a medical problem she could be in pain, which is why she is hissing and hiding from you.

Why did the previous owner re-home her?
I will ask the owner about her medical records. Thank you. However the owner quit sure this all are because the stress she has due to changing her home. I guess she is scared of me and not have any pain because she eat and drink properly and use her litterbox as well.

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unless she has an underlying health issue then the vomiting is probably due to stress as susanm9006 susanm9006 suggested. Keep calm and don't rush things and she will become more confident in her own time. I got Oliver when he was ten and he did his share of hiding under furniture for a while and not eating. He now owns the home. Patience is key.
Wow thank you. your comment makes me hoping :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I will ask the owner about her medical records. Thank you. However the owner quit sure this all are because the stress she has due to changing her home. I guess she is scared of me and not have any pain because she eat and drink properly and use her litterbox as well.
That sounds good. Keep her in one room for now, she will feel more confident in a smaller space. You could try getting a Feliway Diffuser for her room, they help with very nervous cats.

https://www.feliway.com/us/FELIWAY/FELIWAY-Diffuser

Keep us posted, I hope she settles in soon.

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just think I have to share the good news with you all. She came out 4 days ago and now she sleeps on my bed. whenever she wakes up she rubs her head against my hand.

She tried to discover house a little. Still if I want to touch her or if I open the door room she starts hissing on me. Do you have any idea why?

BTW I really want to wash her and brush her hair while I guess it is impossible cause she does not like me to touch her. Can you please suggest me any solution?
She sleeps so much while purring . Sometimes when she wakes up her left eye is wet.. is she crying?