13 year old cat not fully opening right eye

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our 13 year old tuxedo cat has been squinting with her right eye for the past two days. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, the soonest we could get her in. In the past this same eye (and sometimes the other one) would get slightly swollen and itchy particularly during springtime and she was diagnosed with a pollen allergy, but she would never squint or not open the eye. But it’s the dead of winter here now. There is no colored discharge, she’s not sneezing, she does not have a fever, she’s eating and otherwise acting totally normal. The only thing is that the eye has a bit of crust to it, similar to when a human wakes up with it in the corner of their eye. She’s not scratching it, and it does not appear painful, she’s allowed us to put a warm damp cloth to it several times no issues. There are no abrasions. The eye itself is not red or cloudy. She’s an indoor cat other than on a leash when we walk her, she’s up To date with her vaccinations, and was at the vet two weeks ago for a check up. She has a sister cat who is fine. The only thing that is different is we gave them both a treat that was chicken and fish from delectables the day before this. She’s eaten chicken before but her diet is primarily fish, could this be a reaction to food? I am just really worried about her. Thank you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt it's a reaction to food. More likely the eye got irritated somehow. Piece of litter got in the eye, accidentally scratching an itch near the eye too hard, etc. The vet would be able to check the eye for any cornea scratches or other issue.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree, it wouldn't seem to be food allergy. But, it still could be a environmental/seasonal related issue that bothers her one eye more than the other and that she is scratching at it, just maybe not while you are watching her. Sometimes cats with pollen issues are also affected by dust in a closed-up house. It could even be from dryness in a heated household. Also, check to see if her claws need to be trimmed, sometimes if they are tad too long, a cat can irritate their eye(s) by scratching.

Good you are taking her to the vet! It never hurts to be more cautious when kitties get into their senior years! Please let us know what happens with the vet visit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much. I will keep you updated. The house is dusty and we have just turned the heat on, and her hooman (me) has some dust allergies that are also acting up so that could very well be it, but we just want to be sure and extra cautious. She just had her nails trimmed, they are very good about letting us do that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put a new filter in the furnace / heating system to trap allergens. That may help you some. It won't help the cat is the eye issue is something unrelated to allergens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So this morning I woke up and guess what? Her eye looks totally normal?!!!! I called the vet and spoke to the assistant and they said not to bring her in but keep a watch on it and call back if it comes back. Luckily we have a plan we pay for yearly so we can bring them in at no cost. We are going out to get a furnace filter today. thanks all.