13 year old cat fur gone spikey

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all

Over the last 6 months, my 13 year old male cat Poitou's fur seems more unkempt and spikey. He seems a bit thinner and his tail looks a bit ratty. Do you think this is age related. He seems happy enough and eats well.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! When was his last blood work done? A lot of those symptoms point to hyperthyroidism, which is treatable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's never had blood done that I am aware of. He has only ever been to the vets for neutering and yearly check ups and vaccines.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A 13 year old cat is definitely senior. Usually vets like to do senior blood work. Getting thin and looking a bit unkempt is a potential sign of a few things. Have the blood work done and have his teeth looked at.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I will thank you 😊

sarah87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is how my boy started perfectly happy in himself but looking scruffy and losing weight. had his blood results today and theres something going on with his liver( we did think thyroid initially but thats fine) i have made a post but awaiting a reply to see if anyone else has had similar experiences . id get some bloods done mine was £240 for a full check . hope you get some answers

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a cat who presented the same symptoms several years ago and he ended up being diabetic.