13 Week Old Still Sneezing. Has All Vaccinations As Of Last Week.

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 13-week old kitten who along with his siblings had all vaccinations last week. I was told he has FVR and that the vaccination they gave him should help him. Yet, I don't know much about FVR as all my other cats haven't had this. They all got their shots and the vet says he probably got it from his mom as she was a stray before she died and I took him in at 10 days old.

He has no eye problems at all, big bright beautiful eyes. Yet, he's still sneezing, swallowing a lot and has a stuffy nose. He sneezed so much yesterday he ended up with a bloody nose. When the vet saw him they said he didn't need any antibiotics and just needed the shot. Saying his immune system would take care of the rest.

So my question is: should I wait longer for the shot to work or do I need to take him back in and see if they'll give him some antibiotics for it?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet that saw them last week. Let him know the kitten is still sneezing so much, and about the bloody nose. His immune system might should take care of it, but no guarantee that it will. He may need a round of antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet that saw them last week. Let him know the kitten is still sneezing so much, and about the bloody nose. His immune system might should take care of it, but no guarantee that it will. He may need a round of antibiotics.
Thank you. I wasn't sure if I was just being overprotective or not. I'll call them first thing tomorrow as it's after 5pm here.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I wasn't sure if I was just being overprotective or not. I'll call them first thing tomorrow as it's after 5pm here.
well you may be overprotective, but that's a good thing! I am too. and if im worried about one of mine, i never hesitate to take them in, or call. :heartshape:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
You are not being overprotective. That much sneezing and swallowing means he did not get better with the shot. I wonder though if the shot vaccine itself caused this. I know at 13 weeks some kittens do get sick from modified live viruses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are not being overprotective. That much sneezing and swallowing means he did not get better with the shot. I wonder though if the shot vaccine itself caused this. I know at 13 weeks some kittens do get sick from modified live viruses.
We took them in because around 11 weeks he started sneezing every now and then. After the first visit, they said he had FVR and that he needed the shot. We got it for all of them because they share a food bowl, along with all the other shots the vet said they needed. But yes, since the shot he's gotten worse and it's worrying me that he isn't able to breathe well. I watched him sleep on my lap and he wakes a lot to take breaths through his mouth and I heard cats mainly breath through their nose.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Kittens that age get only one shot for immunity against three diseases.

Antibiotics are the usual treatment for an upper respiratory infection. The vaccine is just to prevent URIs, not treat them.