13 Month Old Cat Being More Independent And Less Affectionate.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have searched the web left, right and center and have found conflicting answers.

I got my cat Jiggy when she was 8 weeks old and the lady that gave her to me told me she was shy because she wasn't handled very much as a kitten. She has come a long way in the sense that she would sleep next to me every night and always paw my face in the mornings for food/attention and I am the only person that can pick her up and smother her with hugs and kisses.

Fast forward to her 1st birthday on the 1st December 2018. She hardly visits me in my room and is always sleeping under the couch for the majority of the day and going on her nightly adventures outdoors. It's summer here in Melbourne, Australia and my room gets very hot so I thought that may be one of the reasons she no longer visits my bedroom.

Is this a teenage phase that she will grow out of? Or is this her permanent personality? I've always wanted a more 'clingy' cat however I know cats have different types of personalities. Don't get me wrong; she still shows affection with the head bunting and leg rubbing but it has dramatically decreased since she was a kitten. I totally understand that as a kitten, you're more dependent on your human and as time goes by, they become more independent.

Some pages on the web roughly state that when a cat turns 18 months old - 2 years old, they mellow out and become more affectionate again but I would like to know first hand experience from all of you cat lovers.

Will I get my cuddly Jiggy back? Or is she destined to rule the world now that she's an 'adult'?

My question is to anyone that has gone through this or have knowledge about it? Did you cat become affectionate again after a certain stage or do they live their lives as independent adults? I just miss my cuddle buddy! :(

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long have you been letting Jiggy go outside? Does she stay out all night? If so, maybe she uses up all her energy at night, and that's why she sleeps all day. And I suspect it's under the couch, because it's cooler there.

Is Jiggy an only cat? Is she spayed? And is making her indoor only, an option?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know if she is just one of those cats who will not be cuddly, but I think if you make her an indoor cat, you stand a better chance. Does her change in behavior correlate to when she started spending more time outside? Cats that are allowed outside to roam, in general, are usually more independent with their behavior. I don't know if it because they get most of their stimulation outside, and don't feel as inclined to need it from humans inside, or what...

I don't know where you live, but being an indoor cat is safer, will ensure she lives longer, and might just make you her favorite pastime again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long have you been letting Jiggy go outside? Does she stay out all night? If so, maybe she uses up all her energy at night, and that's why she sleeps all day. And I suspect it's under the couch, because it's cooler there.

Is Jiggy an only cat? Is she spayed? And is making her indoor only, an option?
She has been going outside since she was about 10 months old as she likes to go the toilet there. She stays out until about 2am and comes back to sleep. She is an only cat and is also spayed. Keeping her indoors could be a possibility but I look after my grandparents and they're happy that she's toileting outside.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I don't know if she is just one of those cats who will not be cuddly, but I think if you make her an indoor cat, you stand a better chance. Does her change in behavior correlate to when she started spending more time outside? Cats that are allowed outside to roam, in general, are usually more independent with their behavior. I don't know if it because they get most of their stimulation outside, and don't feel as inclined to need it from humans inside, or what...

I don't know where you live, but being an indoor cat is safer, will ensure she lives longer, and might just make you her favorite pastime again!
When I'm outside with her, she's still cuddly and wants chin and belly rubs. I had always intended for her to be an indoor cat but I thought it would be a little cruel not letting them enjoy the outdoors. Is it hard to transition an indoor/outdoor cat back to indoor only? My only issue would be my grandparents and the stinky litter box situation.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since she is partially indoor anyway, it should be easier. But, I will give you links (see below) to a couple of articles on the subject, and see if there is anything in them that could help you. There are all kinds of stuff, if you have the room, that you can set up for her inside to entertain her - a cat tree for example, areas where she can look out windows, as another.

As far as the stinky litterbox situation, and there should probably be two for her set up in two different locations, if they are kept cleaned out daily the smell should be minimal. Using clumping litter helps with the smell. And, as long as she covers her pee/poo up there is not really any pervasive smell as long as they are kept clean. It doesn't hurt to find locations away from the main living area - not just for your grandparents but some cats just like the privacy.

Indoor Cats vs. Outdoor Cats
7 Tips for Making Your Outdoor Cat an Indoor Cat | Catster

This is a start. Ask all the questions you want. We are here to help!!!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a sweet outdoor/indoor cat that is over heating. I would bet if you ran the AC she would get all cuddly.
During heat waves I have seen cats spread out on the tile floor or laying on the counter. Wiping them down with a damp wash cloth (water) and giving them ice water or cat popsicles helps. (Popsicles are frozen tuna juice or frozen cat safe broth.)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had always intended for her to be an indoor cat but I thought it would be a little cruel not letting them enjoy the outdoors.
Depending on where you live, letting her outside could be putting her in danger of cars, other animals, etc. My family once had a young cat get killed by a car. It's not an easy thing to get over. :(

Is it hard to transition an indoor/outdoor cat back to indoor only?
My Ruby was a stray before she was taken to the shelter where I adopted her. She shows no interest at all in going outside now.

Here's a TCS article on The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

And How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

And How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door

Would you consider taking her out on a harness?
Harness And Leash Training For Cats

My only issue would be my grandparents and the stinky litter box situation.
If they are cleaned regularly, litter boxes shouldn't smell. Here's a another article that might have some tips for you: How To Minimize Litterbox Odor

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depending on where you live, letting her outside could be putting her in danger of cars, other animals, etc. My family once had a young cat get killed by a car. It's not an easy thing to get over. :(

My Ruby was a stray before she was taken to the shelter where I adopted her. She shows no interest at all in going outside now.

Here's a TCS article on The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

And How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

And How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door

Would you consider taking her out on a harness?
Harness And Leash Training For Cats

If they are cleaned regularly, litter boxes shouldn't smell. Here's a another article that might have some tips for you: How To Minimize Litterbox Odor
Thanks so much for your amazing information and insight. I will definitely check all those links you provided and make any necessary changes. She just loves the outdoors so much!

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a sweet outdoor/indoor cat that is over heating. I would bet if you ran the AC she would get all cuddly.
During heat waves I have seen cats spread out on the tile floor or laying on the counter. Wiping them down with a damp wash cloth (water) and giving them ice water or cat popsicles helps. (Popsicles are frozen tuna juice or frozen cat safe broth.)
So bizarre! I blasted the AC today and she snuggled with me for 5 minutes. Must have sensed my sadness haha. Also, thanks for the advice!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the world of cats! I think your cat being not so affectionate is fine. I have that same cat who only wants to be affectionate and cuddly WHEN she wants to. And I am the only person who I think she trusts, as she does not act the same way with my husband, especially with other people. Her being affectionate is on her own time, under her own terms. So let her be. She will come around. Soon she will be the same Jiggy old self :)

Try to keep her indoors. Our cats are more safer if they are kept indoors only, or at least a catio will do. They will hate it in the beginning, but will soon adjust to become a strictly indoor and catio cat only.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try to keep her indoors. Our cats are more safer if they are kept indoors only, or at least a catio will do. They will hate it in the beginning, but will soon adjust to become a strictly indoor and catio cat only.
Yes, a catio would be wonderful and help with the transition to indoors! Or, if you have a screened patio, that would be another great place to let Jiggy be outside in a controlled manner. Of course, if either of these are feasible, you will need to set up a litter box given she is used to doing her business outside.

I am impressed that she goes outside and regularly comes back inside on her own. If you could trust that to happen all the time, every time Jiggy goes outside it wouldn't be so bad. I am sorry we have all pushed for her to be inside, hope we didn't make you feel bad. We are all just scared for that one day she might not come back.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the world of cats! I think your cat being not so affectionate is fine. I have that same cat who only wants to be affectionate and cuddly WHEN she wants to. And I am the only person who I think she trusts, as she does not act the same way with my husband, especially with other people. Her being affectionate is on her own time, under her own terms. So let her be. She will come around. Soon she will be the same Jiggy old self :)

Thanks for taking the time to give me your insight with your kitty! Really means a lot.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, a catio would be wonderful and help with the transition to indoors! Or, if you have a screened patio, that would be another great place to let Jiggy be outside in a controlled manner. Of course, if either of these are feasible, you will need to set up a litter box given she is used to doing her business outside.

I am impressed that she goes outside and regularly comes back inside on her own. If you could trust that to happen all the time, every time Jiggy goes outside it wouldn't be so bad. I am sorry we have all pushed for her to be inside, hope we didn't make you feel bad. We are all just scared for that one day she might not come back.
She routinely comes back in at the same time every night however I also fear that one day, she may never come back so thanks so much for your very informative advice. I will consider all the things in my household and make the appropriate adjustments.