12-year old spayed female crying/vocalizing

elysiannn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a great site!!! It's heavensent!
I have a challenge with my 12-yearold spayed female crying/vocalizing. She's been doing it now for about 2 years and it's gotten worse since my 17-year-old male cat died.

I've read how to stop it but what I'm really asking is why. She seemed to me to be crying out to see if anyone was home. When I said Tigger I'm here - she'd chirp back a kind of Oh, okay. I realize I shouldn't call back to her but...

The past year she seems to be vocalizing alot but it's almost like she's cat talking to the air, or invisible spirits or ????? It isn't the crying but chirps and mrrrrrwwwwws, different kind of vocalizations.

Anybody experienced this? Any ideas?

I did check the non-physical causes (was she going deaf? was she losing her faculties,) and I'm planning on taking her in for a checkup. Also I did just get a 7-month-old in hopes her crying might be that's she's lonely. My cat that just died was a companion but not a pal to her but I think she missed him nevertheless.

Any ideas, experiences are so welcomed and appreciated. Ely

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she Siamese? Or part-Siamese? If so that would explain some of the vocalization. They just like to talk. But cats do grieve, and we have to let them have their time to grieve and be patient with them, as our friends are patient with us when we lose someone, or something that we love.

Cat Fancy has an excellent article in their May 2004 issue called When Cats Grieve. I would recommend you try and locate a copy and give it a look.

If she cries at night, try burning a night light for her. Play classical music softly in the background, that works to soothe cats.

Little Big Cat has a flower remedy specifically designed for cats in mourning. You can find it by following this link:

Little Big Cat

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's been doing it now for about 2 years and it's gotten worse since my 17-year-old male cat died
When did your male cat die? She could still be grieving for him. Give her some extra loving before she starts the vocalizing. Maybe it will alleviate it.

My 5 yr old Pipsqueek chirps and meows at the ceiling all the time. I've started calling it his invisible friend. I've actually seen him following something across the ceiling to the door and then jump at different spots on the door like he was chasing his laserlight. But there was nothing there. At night, after I've gone to bed, he cries thru the house till I let him know where I am.

Sandy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elysiannn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have that Cat Fancy which is great.

I lost my 17-year-old about a month ago and Tigger my vocal little girl observed him in his transition. I've been giving her plenty of love, play, extra toys, grooming.

It's good to hear other cats "talk" to invisible friends.

Thanks for your info. I really appreciate it. Ely