12 Year Cat Appetite Change...

Jenna778

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all, so my older male cat Elliot always was a big piggie. Recently he stopped wanting to eat his wet food (natures instinct wet- about 2 weeks ago) him and his sister always eat this for years. I switch between proteins so they don’t get bored as well. So I got nervous because I know about the 24 hour fatty liver thing. So Since he didn’t eat for a good 12 hours I gave him “primal freeze dried biscuits hydrated) which I had to do this a year ago and it was fine. he loved them he gobbled them up for a week. Since he didn’t eat for 12 hours he ended up with no side effects. Nothing changed except he started running around a little crazy more energy and started sleeping or hanging out in weird spots. Then just a few days ago he’s become picky again like he doesn’t want to eat the food anymore. Again I tried different proteins in the primal food. Turkey, rabbit duck. He ate a little this morning. Then he didn’t want it at all. This has been happening all this week. On and off. He eats all his meals one day then the next he doesn’t want anything.
He’s been going to the bathroom normal and peeing. He has thrown up here and there because he drinks a lot of water after the primal I guess cause it raw freeze dried. So I’m worried. I’m leaving to LA for a week tomorrow and my friend is house cat sitting for us all week but do you think he maybe had some bacteria in one of the foods? Maybe upset belly? Anything I am try to help his tummy. He seems hungry like he wants to eat.
Any suggestions will be wonderful.
Has anyone had any primal or stella and chewy freeze dried raw cat experiences?
Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - I saw your other thread as well where you mention your baby is scared to pieces of the vet. Have you tried any of the calming herbs or products to try and calm him down before you get there?
But more important, do you have a home visit vet you could call? or even your own vet before you leave town to discuss what you're seeing and what the petsitter might need to watch for while you're gone? ...seems like they chose the worst time sometimes to have things go wonky.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, and a note, I'm not a vet but I don't think the increased water drinking would be from the raw. Anyway, I did want to mention that I love the photograph!
In any case, I'd suggest to call your vet and tell them everything you described above, just to be on the safe side.
Sending lots of good thoughts your way!!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe try to take the kitty into the vet for some blood work before you go. That might put your mind at ease.
I've had cats go off their food and I've just tried a different brand and they eat it fine. But to me it's worth a trip to the vet, particularly since you said he's older. He is a good looking boy, tho, that's for sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenna778

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much.
Our friend is living at our home while we are away for the week and the vet is across the street. I put in a call asking the vet their opinion.
Yes I’ve tried lots of herbal remedies. He just freaks at the vet where they can’t look at anything. I even have like Prozac for cats from my vet because he had started licking himself crazy everyday after his brother passed away :( it helped for a while. Then we took him off it after he got a new sister and made him happy again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenna778

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe try to take the kitty into the vet for some blood work before you go. That might put your mind at ease.
I've had cats go off their food and I've just tried a different brand and they eat it fine. But to me it's worth a trip to the vet, particularly since you said he's older. He is a good looking boy, tho, that's for sure!
THANK YOU. I put a call into the vet.
:)