11 Yr Old Cat Unwell Days After Dental Surgery

YasTheCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

My two 11 yr old cats got dental work 6 days ago. My boy cat got one tooth out and my girl cat got 6 teeth out. All their pre op blood work and tests came back perfect and they were absolutely fine after the surgery.

My girl cat was was acting normal until 2 days ago (4 days after the surgery). She was fine during the day but at night I noticed she was extra sleepy and not her usual self. She then vomited up a white frothy liquid. The next day she was the same and we called the vet and she said it was most likely a reaction to her post op pre meds and told us to stop them and bring her in the next day (today).

We have managed to get an appt at 4:40pm today. Other symptoms are - she wont eat her normal wet cat food - only white fish (her fave food), is drinking a lot, I haven't noticed her pooping or peeing but did notice some diarrhea 2 days ago but don't know which cat it was from but I am assuming its her, puked up white/yellow frothy liquid twice yesterday (none today so far), isn't playful, barely looks up when you talk to her or pet her, stays in the same place for ages and only moved today when I cooked the fish. She at least showed interest in that but still not her usual 100% interest.

I am terrified this is a serious complication from the surgery. I hope its just pain from the surgery and a reaction to the meds at most. They didn't deem her as urgent to be seen there and then but urgent enough to be seen on the same day.

What kind of tests will she get done?

Worried sick :(

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It probably is a reaction to the antibiotics that she's on post-op. I know one of my boys has a reaction to antibiotics and so far we can't find one he can take without issues. As to the frothy vomit, that's usually caused from over acidity in the stomach from not eating enough. I'm guessing she'll be fine. Maybe a little plain yogurt will help. I know Forti-Flora helped my guy. It helped with his diarrhea and also helped his appetite. They may also give her an appetite stimulant and possibly an anti nausea drug.