11 Week Old Kitten Keeps Trying To Get Off Balcony

Iamelloyello

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I live on the second floor of my building and have a balcony. (Its not high it's literally maybe 5 feet off the ground) Leo tries to make an escape anytime I go out or in for a smoke. I can usually catch him in time but he has already tried to jump into the bushes. I feel like putting a gate up inside wouldn't do too much and he would just climb it. He also likes to the dart out the door of my apartment when I'm leaving and coming home but luckily I live in an indoor complex so as long as no one opens the door outside he should be safe. Any advice?

Olwince

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would just be really careful he's not slipping out the door with you. I have a 5 month old kitten that's been trying to follow my adult cat out, and he's quick too. I caught him several times making a run for the connected neighbors balcony, where all the cats hang out. I have been picking him up every time when I open the balcony door, or gently pushing him back with my foot. I think that's really all one can do. After all kittens can be furry, meowing, uncontrollable rockets.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you keep some toys or treats by the door and throw one away from the door before you open it?

Olwince

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's worth a try! Sometimes I do the opposite to get Gimli to come home by shaking the treat jar by the door. It really depends on what interests the cat more though, the toy/treat or whatever he sees outside.

I think the only concern in your case is if the kitten manages to jumps from the balcony he'll be hard to retrieve. In the long run, you could consider some sort of barrier to make it harder to jump down, or try to train him on harness and leash, so you can safely keep the balcony door open.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I lived in an apartment I covered the railing with plastic chicken wire type stuff (got a big roll of it at a hardware store for something like $8), held on with zip ties. Wouldn't stop a determined cat from climbing over and jumping down from the top, but at least prevents them from immediately escaping as they zoom out the door. Gave me enough security that I could let my cat hang out with me on the balcony.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had the same problem with my cats. They wanted to leap off the balcony onto the tree. I used green plastic garden mesh usually used to cover peas. I tied it all around the sides and then another big piece over the top. The only drawback is that I have to crawl out and sit on the floor because of the lack of head room but fine by me as the cats are safe.
20170708_064107.jpg