11 month old spayed female cat scared of a 1 year old neutered male cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teresa64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I haven't been on here for a while. Well, going through some teething troubles & my daughter was saying she wanted to get rid of Jasper because he was moulting a lot, more than Pickles. I told her that wasn't a good excuse to get rid of a cat. Also to get a brush for him as i don't think the comb was doing much. But, fingers crossed, everything is going along fine.

She still isn't sure about this fighting business. she said that she found some people saying that a real fighting was loud and short and play fighting was quiet and long.

Now she is trying to regulate their feeding times as she had found that they were eating each others and worried that they wouldn't be eating enough. She weighs out their food out for the day, including how much wet food they were getting. They have pouch food at the weekends and biscuits during the week. Pickles has started drinking cat milk, which is good as she didn't drink a lot of water. Jasper isn't a milk cat, but he drinks plenty of water.

So all going good at the moment. But i did plan it out if I was going to take him in. Just had to sweet talk my husband around. Had find answers to his negative questions, like what would happen to jasper when we go on holiday which would be no trouble as my daughter would put up with him for 2 weeks while we were away.

But at the moment everything seems to be going fine. 

I would like to thank you all for your advice which I've been passing on. 

teresa64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Can anyone tell me how much to feed 1 year old cats? My daughter have been going by what it says on the box. So she's been giving them 50g each day for each of them, that is including pouch food on the weekends. But I don't think she's been feeding them enough as she says that they are looking around for food. She said that she's been feeding them 3 times a day, but they look for food in between. She said that she found an app yesterday & it said to feed them 60g. So i told her to try that, but we can't weigh that out on our scales. Pickles & jasper both weigh about 3kg each. [emoji]128532[/emoji]

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, they're small cats. I would expect a male to weigh more than that, even most of my females weigh more. Is she sure of their weights or is she just guessing? She might be underestimating.

Is it dry food? 50g per day isn't enough. . .that's less than 1/4 cup (for us Americans :tongue2:). Is she sure that's what the bag says? Maybe it says 50g per meal or something. Most cats that age will eat 1/2-1 cup (118g-236g) per day if they eat only dry food. Depending on which food it is and how many calories it has. As they get older she'll have to cut back, but I just can't see a young healthy male getting by on 1/4 cup of dry food a day.

BTW, wet food is healthier; it helps them to get more moisture as drinking water doesn't come naturally to cats. In the wild, cats get all the moisture they need from their prey. If she can feed at least half their daily requirement as wet food, it would help keep them properly hydrated. Aren't most pouches about 85g? That would probably be about half for the female, the male may need a bit more at this age.

Last edited:

teresa64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Their weights are correct when she took them to the vets. My daughter told me this morning that she weighed out 75g of food for each of them. She gave them half a pouch to each of them this morning and then again tonight.

By the sound of it this afternoon when i was talking to my daughter that she is giving them more food, as i told her yesterday to give jasper more food as he looked like he had lost some weight.

Pickles is in her breed to look thin and long, but jasper, it didn't look right. Although it did look like pickles had put on a bit, which wouldn't hurt.

My daughter is just worried that being an indoor cats they would get fat. Yes, she was going by what the box said. She feeds them co-cat and whiskers biscuits. Also they have felix pouches. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One pounch of wet food + 75g of dry food is probably excellent for the female :D. But the male will probably need a bit more. She can keep an eye on their waistlines and cut back/increase as needed. Every cat has a different metabolism so it's hard to set a hard-and-fast rule about how much to feed.

teresa64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the 75g was including the half pouch each. If that wasn't including the pouch that's probably why she's not feeding them enough. I think that's why she isn't coping with 2 cats because of the food feeding times. Because she was thinking of getting rid of jasper. I was going to have him, but my husband won't let me because he don't like cats. [emoji]128546[/emoji]So me & my daughter's boyfriend is trying to persuade her not to get rid of him. We both told her the other day that she can't get rid of him now, as pickles will probably miss him. I said to her Thursday that she would be fine when she got this feeding down to a routine & get the balance right.[emoji]128528[/emoji]

teresa64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been around lately.
Well, I have an update of the cat situation. My daughter put jasper on gumtree & pets4home sites & a lovely man came round to see him, he didn't live far. He has 4/5 children. So the whole family picked jasper up on the 18th this month. Was sad to see him go, but it just wasn't happening where the cats were so different. The good news is that jasper has gone to a good home with a big garden ( which we think he missed) & pickles has gone back to her normal self. Playing more, more affectionate ( I think she is) & following my daughter around more & like being picked up more.
I would like to thank everyone for their advice & for being there when we had problems.
Thank you. [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128536[/emoji]

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update!

It's a difficult decision; but knowing he is loved and well cared for helps!  I'm glad Pickles is doing better too!