11 Month Old Kitten - Tore Up And Possibly Ingested Sos Pad Pieces

txcatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HELP!!! One of the kittens shown in my profile picture is Sandee. She is a very curious and mischievous little bundle of energy. Instead of her toys or her sister, Sapphire, or my older cats she prefers to sneak into the cabinets and bring presents upstairs to play with. 2 days ago we found an SOS pad that was brand new on the floor downstairs from the kitchen sink. It was pulled a part and shredded. Most of the blue chemical cleaner was off the piece and it was all pulled apart. Sandee is the only one that does this and today she is crying when being picked up. I cannot feel anything in her tiny tummy or intestinal track. Sandee is still eating, and drinking with no visible signs in the litter boxes that she has passed this or is trying to pass it. There is no blood in the litter or stool, however she is very tender around the anus area and cries plus doing everything possible to get away from me while I'm checking her.

The cleaner has caused some diarrhea closer to loose stool, but nothing else has come about from the incident. However, I now keep these in the box until we use them for cleaning to protect all my furbabies from harm.

Is there anything that I can give her to help her pass this possible ingestion so it doesn't cause cuts and tears on the inside of her?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would definitely take her to the vet, asap. along with one of the pads like she chewed up. Those things are made of steel wool, and i would be very afraid of what it that would do to a cats intestinal track. I would not squeeze around on her either, if it has caused a blockage or other bad things , you will just cause her more pain, and possibly more damage from the steel wool. Sending you guys best wishes that it is nothing serious, keep us updated. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Sandee. She has had a couple small bowel movements and is eating and drinking. I'm taking her in to the vet first thing in the morning. However, overnight I am isolating her with food and water and the litter box to take samples to the vet. Thank you for your feedback. So far my baby is acting normal and talking a lot which is usual.

txcatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks KittyMommy for your response. Those were my thoughts exactly! Trying to find a new vet in town since mine retired. The one I spoke with said to watch her very carefully because she could have just played with it and tore it up. Unbelievable fees to meet me in the office. No other responses and the fees at ER for the visit and XRays and exam were over $500. I'm praying for her and just watching her carefully until the vet appointment tomorrow morning. A friend recommended a new vet she knew and said they would help get me an appointment for Sandee.:(

txcatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At least steel wool will show up on an X-ray if she's swallowed some.

This is definitely cause for an immediate vet visit. Emergency vet, if you can't find a regular vet open on Sundays.

Margret

txcatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Margret-Thank you so much for your reply! Trying to find a new vet in town since mine retired. The one I spoke with said to watch her very carefully because she could have just played with it and tore it up. Unbelievable fees to meet me in the office. No other responses and the fees at ER for the visit and XRays and exam were over $500. I'm praying for her and just watching her carefully until the vet appointment tomorrow morning. A friend recommended a new vet she knew and said they would help get me an appointment for Sandee.:(

txcatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would definitely take her to the vet, asap. along with one of the pads like she chewed up. Those things are made of steel wool, and i would be very afraid of what it that would do to a cats intestinal track. I would not squeeze around on her either, if it has caused a blockage or other bad things , you will just cause her more pain, and possibly more damage from the steel wool. Sending you guys best wishes that it is nothing serious, keep us updated. :crossfingers:

txcatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! I'm very concerned of the damage if she did ingest some of the pad. I will definitely take one of the pads with me well later today to the vet appt. Trying to find a new vet in town since mine retired. The one I spoke with Sunday said to watch her very carefully because she could have just played with it and tore it up. Unbelievable fees to meet me in the office. No other responses and the fees at ER for the visit and XRays and exam were over $500. I'm praying for her and just watching her carefully until the vet appointment tomorrow morning. A friend recommended a new vet she knew and said they would help get me an appointment for Sandee.:(

txcatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Sandee! Long time in coming after many tests and doctors. She is fine. Thankfully, there wasn't any type of foreign object found in her anywhere. Sandee's at home and doing great! I appreciate everyone's responses and help!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on Sandee! Long time in coming after many tests and doctors. She is fine. Thankfully, there wasn't any type of foreign object found in her anywhere. Sandee's at home and doing great! I appreciate everyone's responses and help!
What a relief!

Thank you for letting us know. We worry.

Margret