101 Things That Can Harm Your Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat used to steal cigarrete butts amd chew on them. that was a while back. could that have caused any harm? i almost always caught him before chewing it but other times he had done it already. it was those roll your own cigarretes kinda thing so i it didnt have any tobacco but idk what the filter is made of. also when i make scampi shrimp he likes to lick and chew on the shrimps tail and i do use garlic to make it... is it bad if he just licked the tails?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just another reminder that t his is a very old thread, but one that can always be revived and added to. My pet hate (pun intended) are those long plastic threads that come attached to plastic garbage bags, that you are meant to use to tie up the bags when they are full. The ties are always bright orange or green and my cats love to try and disattach them from the bags as I open them. I always take them off and throw them away carefully.

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ijennieranson just love your avatar picture!What a group of lovies:rbheart::rbheart::rbheart:

Last edited:

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I look at most of this as common since. However there was one thing I saw that I couldn't help getting a laugh out of.

When I was growing up there was 8 of us kids. We always left the toilet seats up so the dogs and cats could drink out of them. The reason was to make sure there was enough water for the day while we were at school and Mom and Dad at work. This was 30 some years ago though. No one really thought about it then. As far as the toilet is flushed though I don't see any  wrong with it. Dogs and cats drink out of water puddles outside and other "yucky" things all the time without getting sick. They have a better immune system and tolerance than we humans. Just my opinion.  :)

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I look at most of this as common since. However there was one thing I saw that I couldn't help getting a laugh out of.

When I was growing up there was 8 of us kids. We always left the toilet seats up so the dogs and cats could drink out of them. The reason was to make sure there was enough water for the day while we were at school and Mom and Dad at work. This was 30 some years ago though. No one really thought about it then. As far as the toilet is flushed though I don't see any  wrong with it. Dogs and cats drink out of water puddles outside and other "yucky" things all the time without getting sick. They have a better immune system and tolerance than we humans. Just my opinion.  :)

As far as drinking toilet water goes it depends on if you have a toilet cleaner hanging on the rim and if you've just cleaned it. Or cleaned it within a few days before. For safety sake I just don't let mine drink it. In fact I usually keep the lid down. I had a couple of cats fall in. They weren't hurt. Just shocked them and they looked like drowned rats. Learned my lesson years ago.

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As far as drinking toilet water goes it depends on if you have a toilet cleaner hanging on the rim and if you've just cleaned it. Or cleaned it within a few days before. For safety sake I just don't let mine drink it. In fact I usually keep the lid down. I had a couple of cats fall in. They weren't hurt. Just shocked them and they looked like drowned rats. Learned my lesson years ago.
I had a cat in the past that we could not get her to stop playing in the fish tank. She fell in one day, funniest site ever!

blackstripes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats eat dry cat food and faucet water. But sometimes when my boy is wanting something i have, i sometimes give him Cotton Candy,Pinched up tiny peace of Pringle chip, or Funions chips. I'll give him a tiny peace of fast food fries, meat, chicken. I've given him beef jerky before.

I just want to know if anything i listed is harmful to cats? He has a plastic paper eating problem that I try to keep him safe from. He also rarely but sometimes sticks his her into my boyfriend's cup and drinks mellow yellow. I don't let him do it, but he tries to sneak when we leave the room.
Please give me advice.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eat dry cat food and faucet water. But sometimes when my boy is wanting something i have, i sometimes give him Cotton Candy,Pinched up tiny peace of Pringle chip, or Funions chips. I'll give him a tiny peace of fast food fries, meat, chicken. I've given him beef jerky before.

I just want to know if anything i listed is harmful to cats? He has a plastic paper eating problem that I try to keep him safe from. He also rarely but sometimes sticks his her into my boyfriend's cup and drinks mellow yellow. I don't let him do it, but he tries to sneak when we leave the room.
Please give me advice.
None of those things are good for your cat. Sugar, salt and grease are not things you want a cat to eat. Bad for his teeth, bad for his heart, bad for his digestion.

Feed him a good wet food diet, and if you feel the need to give him treats, give him things like freeze dried chicken breast, nothing in it but chicken.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd like to add to the list of trouble places: duct work. We keep a mouse trap in our cold air return and when I took the cover off to take the trap out  after catching a mouse, the kitten took off into the duct work to hunt . Ours didn't, but I imagine that a small cat/kitten could get quite stuck if they reached a corner whilst intent on catching a mouse.....

kittehkatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are towels bad for your cat? I dry my cat with a towel when I give her a bath! I also feed my cat pieces of Cooked Chicken....

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are towels bad for your cat? I dry my cat with a towel when I give her a bath! I also feed my cat pieces of Cooked Chicken....
Towels pose a potential danger because of the terry loop type weave of them. A cat's claw can get stuck in the loop, which could cause the cat to freak out, and even pull the claw out if he can't get loose. Another danger, again because of the nature of the terry cloth is, claws can pull loops loose creating strings that the cat can ingest.

Last edited:

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
such a great post!!! so simple and well explained!

thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.