10 year old kitty treated for liver issues and pancreatitis but she’s still not eating

ndahl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
My partner and I moved our two cats 3000 miles to our new city about a week ago. It was a 6 day trip. A couple days before we left I noticed our 10 yr old tortie was looking a little bit slimmer than usual. I didn’t really think about it too much and figured I’d just get her into a vet when we arrived after moving.
She seemed to do fine the whole trip. Obviously some nervousness but she sat on our laps on the drive and ate and drank good when stopped at the hotels. We arrived last Friday and Monday or Tuesday I noticed she was looking even smaller. So I made a vet appointment for Friday (today). Well, Wednesday we realized she had stopped eating. So I took her in first thing Thursday morning. They did blood work, a urinalysis, and a test for pancreatitis. She tested positive for pancreatitis and her liver enzymes were elevated. Her bilirubin was also elevated but her white blood cell count was normal and she’s not anemic.
The vet explained that it could be lymphoma, could be stress, could be a hundred different things at which point I started crying. The vet recommended an ultrasound at $500 to see the liver and see what’s going on there. My partner wasn’t with me and we’re already living off credit cards so I opted for the treatment and take home until I could talk to my partner about proceeding financially. They gave her a depo shot, an anti nausea shot, and covenia shot. I also got antibiotics to give her twice a day for a week.
That was yesterday and she hardly ate yesterday. She seems hungry but she’ll lick her food twice and walk away. This morning I got some of the pure balance chicken and beef treat packets from Walmart and she ate almost the whole thing after a lot of time of coaxing! Unfortunately she hasn’t eaten again since this morning.
I’m calling the vet in the morning to see how long it will take for her to start eating again if that treatment protocol is the right one. Maybe there’s something more serious going on here? I’m so lost and confused, I know no one has any answers for me on why this is happening but how can I help my little bean? I need to make sure shes eating.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry, and with liver issues, she really does need to eat. If necessary, you can syringe feed her. You'll need either a fairly large (5-10cc syringe), or a medicine dropper in a pinch, and a pate type cat food. Mix the cat food with water until it forms a loose slurry. Draw it up in the syringe. Place the tip gently between her cheek and gum, and slowly insert a small amount. Allow her to swallow, and give her another "bite." This will help prevent more liver problems until you can get to the bottom of this.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did they say she has Fatty Liver? Is she jaundice (yellow gums, yellow inside her ears?) If that was mentioned, or she is jaundice, she probably does need to be force fed as when they get this, it's almost impossible for them to eat on their own. I can't remember why, but our Vet explained why that happens over 20 years ago when our guy got it.

So it could be the liver causing the loss of appetite, or it could be the pancreatitis, or could still be the stress of the move. Sometimes pancreatitis can be painful and the cats get pain medication. I'm guessing the Vet didn't think she was in pain? Was she dehydrated at all? Fluids also can help them regain their appetites. Since she ate those treats. maybe try feeding her a food she's never had before.