10 Year Old Cat Tries To Kill New Kitten

bellle537

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so back in April we rescued an 8 week old kitten. We expected that our 10 year old cat would not like her but we never dreamed it would be this bad. We introduced them slowly, separated them and switched their rooms so they could smell each other scents. None of that worked, and our 10 year old cat tries to kill the kitten every chance she gets. They cannot be in the same room together and when they are apart, the 10 year old bangs her head on the door trying to get ahold of the kitten. It is very frightening because if they ever got in the same room while we were away, we believe she would kill her. Any ideas how we can get the 10 year old to like our new kitten? Thanks in advance!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she every physically attacked the kitten. Did she bite or scratch it. If not, what is her exact behavior that concerns you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellle537

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she physically attacks her. She has torn the kittens nail off twice now when they fight through the crack of the door at the bottom. Hope that makes sense. And also the kitten sometime shoots out of the room when the door opens causing the older cat to chase after her but luckily we have gotten the kitten everytime. This is starting to become a problem

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellle537

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she physically attacks her. She has torn the kittens nail off twice now when they fight through the crack of the door at the bottom. Hope that makes sense. And also the kitten sometime shoots out of the room when the door opens causing the older cat to chase after her but luckily we have gotten the kitten everytime. This is starting to become a problem
Because we do not want to keep them shut up all day when we are not home.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait a few weeks until the kitten is bigger and stronger and then start giving them some face to face time in a way that keeps the kitten safe - either through a barrier on the door or even by putting the kitten in a carrier so that the older can can see and smell her. I would also do some space swapping, keeping the older cat in the kitten’s room while you keep the kitten elsewhere for a few hours so they can absorb the others scent.

Usually adult cats will not harm a kitten but there are always exceptions. Hissing, growling and slapping are going to occur but not to the point where the kitten is harmed.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 that there are always exceptions to every cat "rule" including the general rule that adult cats dont hurt kittens. However, you haven't told us enough to be sure that this is one of them. Through-the-door with a kitten could easily lead to accidental injuries. And first time owners confuse normal play activities with intent-to-injure literally every day. Can you take a video?

I get that you may be too nervous to take a video, believing as you do that the older cat is trying to kill the kitten. What I am telling you is that without a video, I would bet that you are wrong. My suggestion if you are a first time owner and willing to concede I could be correct is to watch a lot of youtube videos of cats rough housing.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should do as they suggested. You might also try putting the adult cat in the crate robe fair (if your adult cat is super aggressive to the kitten in the crate, I would not put the aggressive cat in the crate because it might make her more aggressive.)

I will add this story. I got a 6-8 week old kitten and my 1 year old neutered male cat walked slowly up to the kitten, sniffed him & then proceeded to gently put his entire mouth around his neck!!!!!!! I freaked out and ‘rescued’ the kitten. I did the my precious introduction. The kitten was within arm’s reach at all times and slept in the guest bedroom. That kitten turned into a terrorizing punk 3 weeks later! The kitten was jumping on my sweet Salem’s back, biting his scruff and ‘riding’ him with his little legs dangling. Meanwhile my adult cat is just walking in a slow circle meowing occasionally (I wish I had taken pictures!) I then encouraged my Sweet boy to stand up for himself to my little terror Dante. Years later I learned that gentle neck grab was a dominance move and he wasn’t trying to kill the baby kitten!

So please post videos of them together so we can interpret their behaviors. Your older kitty may be trying to play or teach the kitten respect or has you think wanting to kill/maim the kitten.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this must have been really upsetting for you. I am so sorry. It must have been frightening. :alright: Hang in there with us though. We’ll try to help.
More time for the kitten to grow and more information please. Photos or video. A female may want to claim this kitten, teach it proper cat behavior or discipline it. I’ve seen similar behaviour. No one could ever say that it’s not possible for a cat to kill a kitten, it’s just very unusual. I have never known of a cat that killed a baby. Most cats will defend a kitten that is without a parent. I once had an old feral Tom bring me a sick kitten. I still don’t know where he found it. At first I thought he had caught some prey but when he brought it and dropped it on my foot I was in shock! He had never come close to me before. Then I saw that he had dropped a kitten about three weeks old. A tiny black fluff ball that had a respiratory infection. It was a cold winter night and I am sure that if he hadn’t brought it when he did, it would have died. I took the kitten and the old Tom remained near me after that. I took care of the Tom the rest of his life. He was a hero. I still have that “baby” he saved.
I’ve seen lots of cats save kittens. My old spayed female who never had kittens, adopted a litter of abandoned babies a year and a half ago.
These examples may demonstrate why we ask you for a little more information. We may be able to understand what is triggering the response if we know more. A kitten running out could seem to her like a kitten wanting to play or like a kitten needing help or any number of things.
Until this is sorted out, keep the kitten safe. When it it is larger it will be better able to defend itself. I am thinking you will continue to see these actions and that your cat really is trying to teach the kitten, dominate it, rescue it or just play. Please keep us updated. We are here to offer support as you figure this all out. I’m glad you came here for help. There are lots of people here who will want to help.
Welcome to thecatsite. :welcomesign:

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All agreed with the above - please try to put kitten in a crate / carrier, and take video of older cat's reaction when placed in her area.
If kitten really is only 8-weeks old or so, this will not be long-term trauma for her, no matter what happens....and can be very insightful to observe directly.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is unusual but not impossible though. My usual grumpy Bourbon who hates other outsiders got to smell and playfully and repeatedly swat my 2 tiny rescued and abandoned kittens the other day. I was nervous at first as she was initially hissing at them. Now when the kittens are crying, Bourbon instinctively runs to them and to me back and forth as if she wanted to tell me, "They are hungry! Feed them!"

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote it might be ‘Mom, they won’t shut up! Come on, hurry up and feed them!!!’ ;)