10 Week Old Kitten Weird Health Issues

gchris7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

This is going to be a long post. Sorry for that.

On 6/9 i adopted a 2 month old male kitten. He was found alone at the streets by a lady when he was around 1 month old. She kept him for a month until i got him.

He looked fine when i first saw him, he was energetic and he was eating a lot. One thing that worried me a bit the first day we got him home, is that he tried to pee on the couch, but i it was one stressful day and also i thought that he might be marking his territory as we have one more kitten (female) 3 months of age.

After a couple of days we took him to the vet for a checkup and for his first vaccination. The vet found him healthy and everything seemed fine even though there where still a few occasions where he peed outside the litter box.

On 14/9 he woke up after an evening nap and i noticed that he was limping on his left front leg and wouldn't use it at all. He looked fine and playing with my other kitten before he took his nap. I though that he either hurt it while playing with the other kitten (they play very rough) or maybe it was just a sleep cramp.
It didn't seem to hurt him at first when i touched it but as time went by, it was getting much worse. After few hours he was very lethargic, wouldn't eat and he seemed to be in pain.

Next morning i took him to the vet. He had high fever (40 C) and his leg hurt so much that it wasn't possible for the Vet to examine it. She said that we might need to do x-rays but not until the fever goes down. She did a fever injection and i left him there in order for her to watch him.

After a few hours the Vet called me and told me that he was getting better. The fever was gone and he was starting to use his leg, so i took him back home. He was still lethargic but he was using his leg and it didn't seem to hurt him when touched.

The next day, his leg was almost completely healed but he continued to be lethargic. As time went by, he wouldn't eat anything and peeing outside the litter-box became more frequent. I also noticed that he was drinking loads of water and using the litter-box very often as well. The next morning i took him to the vet again. He had high fever once more and she also noticed that he had 3 large ulcers on his tongue. She injected him once more for the fever and she told me to take him home and bring him back the next morning.

At that point the poor guy was miserable, wouldn't eat anything, saliva was coming out of his mouth and he would just drink and pee all the time.

I took him to the Vet again the next morning as instructed. He didn't have fever anymore but all the other symptoms where there.. She told me that it would be best to do blood and urine tests, so we did.. The results didn't show anything extreme, but they did find a small amount of blood cells in his urine and also a slightly high creatinine level which might indicate a kidney problem but its very rare to kittens. Also we are still waiting for some tests on the urine in order to see if there is a germ. The vet told me to feed him dry ROYAL CANIN FELINE RENAL for a month and then we will do the blood test again.

I also contacted the lady that found him and she told me that he would never pee outside the litter box or drink a lot of water but she did notice that he went to his litter box more often than normal.

Poor little guy is at home right now, skinny and weak as hell. Not sure how else i can help him other than following the vets instructions, but the problem is that he is just getting worse. :(
What makes me wonder is how is all this connected with the problem he had with his leg.

Again, sorry for the long post.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The limping and sores on the tongue sound a lot like calici? Especially considering the limping went away on its own? Maybe discuss if he needs to be tested for that with the vet? But getting the test done is expensive and if it is calici, there's not much you can do except treat the symtoms and wait it out. The test is just to confirm what the cat has.

You might want to keep your other kitten away from him just in case cause calici is contagious.

Im not sure about the peeing or kidney problems though.

Last edited:

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And maybe ask the vet about the type of vaccination that was used? Some vaccinations can cause reactions that mimic the diseases they protect against.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gchris7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Ceracera. I will ask the Vet about Calici. I googled the symptoms and some of them do much but many of them don't. There is no eye or nasal discharge, no bleeding, no difficulty breathing, etc.

The vaccination was "nobivac tricat trio" and he had about a week before he got sick.

After coming home from work today i noticed yet another issue. His forehead is all swollen up to the point where he can barely see. Got him to the vet a again. They said that its either an allergic reaction to one of the meds or maybe it was because he was hitting his face on the cage he was in all day yesterday at the vets office (he is also missing a lot of fur above his eyes). She doesn't want to give antibiotics due to the possible kidney problem.

:(

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he doesnt have eye discharge its probably not calici then. Poor guy, i hope his situation improves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gchris7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Ceracera.
Pus is now coming out of his forehead...
It looks like there is a small hole there and when you lightly press his swollen forehead its coming out of there.

Could all of these issues be from infected bites inflicted by my other kitten?

This is how he used to be :(

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should send pictures to the vet. Cause whatever i say is just based on my own experiences :/