10 Week Old Kitten Shallow, Rapid Breathing

amb13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am worried about my 10 week old kitten, he has been running around, playing, eating and using the bathroom regularly but his breathing (while laying and sleeping) seems labored, shallow, and rapid. I could be overly worried but it seems off. He was running around like crazy earlier and I saw him panting twice but it only lasted a few seconds. His belly seems to be moving a lot while he’s breathing. It isn’t hot or anything in the room either.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A vet check is always in order when you think something is off.

That said, when cats exert themselves they can pant for a few moments just like a human who pushed their limits. If the moment is just a moment and he is back at it, it likely is perfectly normal. However, given his age it I'd still chekc with the vet to make sure there isn't something else going on.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And the normal respiration rate for a 10 week old kitten is 20-30 breaths per minute, so you have something to judge against.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think faster than normal breathing rate at rest (not being too hot) could be anemia. I'm not a vet though. My 17 yr old very healthy girlie cat was doing that a bit so I switched to a wet food with liver for the iron source and it stopped. All without $250+ worth of blood tests.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amb13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys so much for your input. He went to the vet and they said he’s so healthy but to monitor him. He does seem to breath more rapidly etc. still but not for long periods like last time. I may add some liver to his wet food after talking to the vet again this week.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what we love to hear! Stick around now, don't be a stranger! We want to watch this little guy grow up.