10 Week Old Kitten Not Gaining Weight

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have five foster kittens. I’ve had them since their mother gave birth. The mom has since been spayed and adopted out because the babies are fully weaned. Three of the babies are well above two pounds, but two are a lot smaller.

About two weeks ago, both had an issue with constipation and they saw the vet at least three times for it. It stunted their growth a little, but we got them back on track and they are pooping normally. They’ve also been on several dewormers for Coccidia and roundworm, which are now gone and not showing up in fecal samples.

1 kitten is 1lb 12 oz and gaining weight daily, but the other is only 1lb 9 oz and isn’t gaining weight at all for the past few days. I’ve been free feeding dry kitten food, two meals of wet food, and some nutrical daily. She’s been eating and is even on an appetite stimulant so she will eat more. The vet isn’t sure what’s wrong and I’m not sure how to get her to gain weight! Any tips???

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nutrical is as I understand it, mostly to give extra karbos. I propose you try out some vitamine paste instead...

Can you get raw goats milk? and give her as extra?

If you dont have, so common KMR or cartooned goats milk, as alternative to common water.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feed the kittens more wet food more often. They need it. It will help them grow.

Suziethekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have three kittens one is smaller and kinda thinner not much tho but it's noticeable
I've been told that it's because he's the smallest of the litter and the biggest one of the litter is the heavest although they all eat the same
I guess that may matter as well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do have goats milk so I can give her some of that. I’ll look into getting vitamin paste and I think I’ll keep giving nutrical because the vet told me it was a good idea. I’ll do three wet food feedings a day now.

I’ve also heard plain chicken baby food helps with weight gain. Is that true?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the size may be in part individual. As long as each one grows (adds weigh) as it shall, its no problem.

I have three kittens one is smaller and kinda thinner not much tho but it's noticeable
I've been told that it's because he's the smallest of the litter and the biggest one of the litter is the heavest although they all eat the same
I guess that may matter as well

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, plain chicken baby food is useful yes. be sure there is No garlic and no onions, though.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got all the goodies! Vitamin paste, chicken baby food, and goats milk. She ate a little of each, but not enough so I had to force feed her. She lost an ounce today. We are now at 1 lb 8 oz. :(

At least she is staying hydrated. Someone told me food allergy could be a problem. Before all these issues with constipation and weight loss, she was doing really good on chicken and turkey. I guess I’ll stay away from fish just in case.

I really don’t think she’s just small because I’ve had kittens that are a lot thinner and lighter than their litter mates, but they didn’t feel like skin and bones like Rosemary does.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: within the last few days she has gained 4 oz! I started off with a goat milk/chicken baby food soup and daily vitamin paste, and am just now weaning her back onto real cat food. I’ve determined it’s definitly an allergy to fish judging on how well she’s doing with poultry!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent news!

It may not be an actual allergy; for all that most cats love it, fish is really not the most nutritious food for cats. Additionally, the oceans are sufficiently polluted at this point that sea food tends to have nasty things like mercury in it - dangerous for humans as well as cats.

I'm so glad these kittens found such a good person to foster them; you've really been putting your all into saving their lives and health, and I know that everyone here appreciates it.

Now that the crisis is past, we'd love to see pictures.

Margret

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting! I guess everyone just calls it an allergy.
Pictures of Rosemary from 0-10 weeks: