10 Month Old Kitten

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for a 10 month old kitten to not be very active? We've had her about 7 months and she's never been a hyper kitten. When she plays she takes a pretty laid back approach. Generally she prefers to just sit and nap. She's like an old cat at 10 months old! Is that normal? Has anyone else had a "old cat" kitten or should I be concerned?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We used to joke that my Moms cat was born old. He never really played with any toys and didn't quite seem to understand the whole idea of play with our other cats. He often ran crying to a human when his brother attempted to play or jumped out of reach. If you waved a wand or threw a toy, he'd make a half hearted attempt and move on. Except hair elastics which he loves to play with (supervised of course) but even that he played fetch rather then playing with them. While play is typically practice for hunting, he does excel at hunting despite the lack of practice. When we got Rocket, he was the one bringing lizards and mice into the house for her to practice hunting with (much to the humans displeasure).

It wasn't until he was around 5 or 6 years old that he started to pick up on playing. Even then his definition of playing took a while to develop. He's now 10 and it's only been in the last year that he really has begun to play with my cat in any cat like way.

All to say. As long as your cat is otherwise healthy, them not being good at play isn't a problem in and of itself. I'd have the vet do some blood testing and xrays just to be safe (which we did do with my moms cat) but if everything health wise checks out you just have a less hyper kitten. You do want to pay attention to diet as she gets older to make sure she doesn't overeat since she won't have as much activity to counterbalance what she's eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the thoughts! We had a cat who, as an adult, wasn't into play. But he would get a daily zoomies session and he'd pounce on bugs outside. So maybe we'll figure out what she really likes down the road. Just didn't think a kitten would be so mellow! We may take her to the vet just for peace of mind too. Thanks!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the thoughts! We had a cat who, as an adult, wasn't into play. But he would get a daily zoomies session and he'd pounce on bugs outside. So maybe we'll figure out what she really likes down the road. Just didn't think a kitten would be so mellow! We may take her to the vet just for peace of mind too. Thanks!
Let us know how it goes!

I found that recycled fur toys on Etsy are really good.

Cats can be super calm during a growth period too. Lots of sleep. Or you might find her more of a seasonal player.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet is running tests to try to rule out FIP. Devastating news and really hoping she's just lazy!!!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hoping for just lazy.

FIP is kind of the catch all, if we dont know what it is then it must be FIP. But FIP is not the life sentence it once was. I've twice had vets want to rule it out. One cat was negative for the virus that causes it and turns out he was constipated. The other cat was positive but she just bumped her head and the problem self resolved.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sure hope it's a situation like that! Thank you!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vet got her blood work results back and protein was high. The coronavirus test hasn't come back yet. If that's negative, then likely not FIP. If it's positive, better chances it is, but may do some more tests. The rest of her bloodwork was normal - kidney and liver values. So really all we know is that her poor little body has inflammation SOMEWHERE. On the xray they did everything looked normal. The likely next step would be an ultrasound. I'm not on FB but I've seen the postings about the FIP Warrior page. UGH.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Coronavirus test was positive. Ultrasound tomorrow.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl has been coronavirus positive for 8 years and it hasn't developed into FIP. Hopefully you are in the same positive but not developed club.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Only some strains develop into FIP. And it's quite common for cats to have caught COVID-19 even now because humans are spreading it around too. Hopefully, it's one of those strains.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ultrasound showed a mass likely consistent with FIP. If not, could be lymphoma. We are going to try some prednisolone and just keep her as comfortable and happy for as long as she has.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ultrasound showed a mass likely consistent with FIP. If not, could be lymphoma. We are going to try some prednisolone and just keep her as comfortable and happy for as long as she has.
I'm so sorry Kris. ❣ hopefully early treatment can help extend her life and quality of life.

I don't know if it's available where you are, but Kitten Lady Hannah was able to treat her cat for FIP.