10 Month Old Kitten — Possible Vaccine Reaction?

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a new cat. A 10 month old berg friendly playful kitten. She’s been fixed and ran a slight fever with some lethargy after her first round of shots in December. She got her second round of vaccines a week ago, and has been fine up until today. She didn’t come out for dinner (abnormal, she’s usually ravenous) so I brought her in and she ate only half a bowl. Then went back to sleep. She looks like she doesn’t feel well. No vomiting or anything like that. No congestion or leaky eyes. She feels sort of warm and I’m kind of nervous to take her temp. If she’s like this in the morning we will take her to the vet.

She tested negative twice for worms. We isolated her for 3 weeks before introducing her to our other cats. She tested negative when we first got her for FELV and FIV.

We’re a little traumatized bc years ago we had 3 cats with panleukopenia, and lost one of them to the virus. It was awful and we’re worried about going through that again.

Any ideas what it could be?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry to hear about your little girl. It seems to me that a total week past the second round of vaccines would be a little late for a reaction. How does this compare to her first shots, in terms of time between them and the lethargy? Did you call the vet to ask if that was possible she would be having a reaction at this point?

I think you have too many variables/possibilities, and are too worried about your past cats to be able to make any rash decision - other than to take her in to the vet and let them check her out. Keep us posted, please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She also seems to be breathing fast. But she’s sleeping now and doesn’t seem to be in any distress— no blue lips or anything. When I touched her she woke right up and stretched. She’s Not acting like she’s out of breath. Ugh. I hate this!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry to hear about your little girl. It seems to me that a total week past the second round of vaccines would be a little late for a reaction. How does this compare to her first shots, in terms of time between them and the lethargy? Did you call the vet to ask if that was possible she would be having a reaction at this point?

I think you have too many variables/possibilities, and are too worried about your past cats to be able to make any rash decision - other than to take her in to the vet and let them check her out. Keep us posted, please.
Her first reaction was a few days after. It does seem like long time for a reaction. Unless she’s 100% better tomorrow we’ll bring her in!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vaccine reactions usually happen before you even leave the clinic if it is anything serious. Otherwise cats can be a bit sleepy and blah for a day or so afterwards. But a week later, even a couple days later makes me think it isn't related to the vaccines.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She did eat some dry and wet food tonight for me. But she didn’t come into the kitchen for it, so something is up with her appetite. I’ll take her in tomorrow and let you know what’s up. Thanks!!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went to the vet this morning and the poor little monkey has a fever of 103.9! We didn't see our usual vet, but the other one in the practice who I know can be a bit alarmist. He totally has me in a panic as he mentioned FIP right off the bat! I told him when we took her in we isolated her until she was 100% worm free (she never had worms), she's had all her shots and we did everything right before letting her in with other other cats. He agreed, but has that anti-rescue "this is what happens when you bring a new cat in" attitude! UGH.

So he gave her a fever reducer, an antibiotic shot, and clindodrops for us to give her at home starting tomorrow. She didn't act super sick at the vet-- was struggling with them like a normal feisty kitten, and tried to get out of the room a couple times. Total spunk. The vet did want to do an infectious disease panel, but we're holding off on that until Monday to see how she does this weekend. He wants her isolated, so we set her up in the bathroom again. She's miserable being in there. But as soon as she got home, she ate a bowl of dry food.

The vet tech (who I trust 100%) totally thought the vet was being an alarmist mentioning FIP right off the bat. It could be ANY infection or virus. It could have no known origin at all (her own kitten had a Fever of Unknown Origin and she went through the same panic last year). Vet tech still thinks it's a coincidence that this same thing (fever and lethargy) happened after her last round of vaccines. So even though the vet has me all panicked, I'm going to hope she's better over the weekend, and that this winds up being nothing.

Like I said, we're traumatized from our dealings with feline distemper years ago. We do rescue, but haven't brought new cats in for 3 years. We made an exception with this sweet little monkey, and I really hope she's ok and we don't end up regretting it. Our other cats range in ages (4-13) and now we'll be staring at them for any signs of infectious disease.

Cross your fingers she's ok!

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet tech (who I trust 100%) totally thought the vet was being an alarmist mentioning FIP right off the bat. It could be ANY infection or virus.
I totally agree. That's a bad habit some vets have. FIP it's rare, but it's a bugbear so they sometimes feel like it's necessary to warn you that's a possibility.
Anyway, my cat had a fever 6 days after his last vaccine boost, and they told me it's was too late to be a reaction. Two days after he was perfectly fine.
Finger crossed!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I totally agree. That's a bad habit some vets have. FIP it's rare, but it's a bugbear so they sometimes feel like it's necessary to warn you that's a possibility.
Anyway, my cat had a fever 6 days after his last vaccine boost, and they told me it's was too late to be a reaction. Two days after he was perfectly fine.
Finger crossed!
Yes, I this would be 8 days after her boosters. And since she had a reaction the first time, exactly like this, it makes sense it's this again. She's really not acting like a SUPER SICK cat. And all her check ups (when she got fixed, and got her boosters) were fantastic.

Thanks for helping me feel better!

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She doesn't have any other symptoms of FIP, so that seems like a ridiculous suggestion. I actually think it's irresponsible of this vet to frighten you like this.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one cat that reacted much like yours twice, very lethargic, fever, and little to no food for two to three days. After that the vet gave him some Benadryl 20 minutes before his vaccinations and he was fine every time! I know some people here say that doesn't work for vaccinations but it sure worked for him. I'm sure your kitten is just one of those that has a slight reaction to the shots, just like some kids are more affected. Normal temps for cats can run as high as 102.5 degrees so he did have a temp, but it still could be a 'normal' reaction to vaccinations. I bet he is fine in a couple of days.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had one cat that reacted much like yours twice, very lethargic, fever, and little to no food for two to three days. After that the vet gave him some Benadryl 20 minutes before his vaccinations and he was fine every time! I know some people here say that doesn't work for vaccinations but it sure worked for him. I'm sure your kitten is just one of those that has a slight reaction to the shots, just like some kids are more affected. Normal temps for cats can run as high as 102.5 degrees so he did have a temp, but it still could be a 'normal' reaction to vaccinations. I bet he is fine in a couple of days.
I really think that's what it is. But it's 7-8 days after the vaccine. But I've read that *can* happen. So we'll see!

She's eating and is pretty happy. The meds must already be helping!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cat had a very nasty side effect for a drug she finished taking a week prior. It was investigated by the drug manufacturer's vets and they told me that such late reaction is not uncommon. It was oral medication, but I was told the late reactions are totally a thing, so maybe it concerns vaccine as well.
good luck!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well last night she seemed SO much better. She ate a couple bowls of wet food etc. No runny poops or vomiting. But she felt a little hot to me again this morning so I took her temp. 103.3! Still a temp! Even though they gave her anti-fever meds less than 24 hours ago.

That's a bad sign, right? How long would it take her fever to go away if it was a vaccine reaction? She's had it now since Thursday afternoon.

I'm thinking we should do the $270 bacterial/viral panel?

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well last night she seemed SO much better. She ate a couple bowls of wet food etc. No runny poops or vomiting. But she felt a little hot to me again this morning so I took her temp. 103.3! Still a temp! Even though they gave her anti-fever meds less than 24 hours ago.

That's a bad sign, right? How long would it take her fever to go away if it was a vaccine reaction? She's had it now since Thursday afternoon.

I'm thinking we should do the $270 bacterial/viral panel?
Well, anti-fever meds work only for some hours, just like with us humans, when we take acetaminophen. I mean, if she has an infection it could be normal to be feverish again. But maybe - just maybe- it is indeed too long to be a vaccine reaction. You can consider to do the panel, I would probably do it.
What antibiotic did she take? Is she still breathing fast? It's the only "specific" symptom you mentioned, so I think maybe it could be a respiratory infection. You could ask to do an x-ray first, which is also probably cheaper and the only way to exclude some diseases.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, anti-fever meds work only for some hours, just like with us humans, when we take acetaminophen. I mean, if she has an infection it could be normal to be feverish again. But maybe - just maybe- it is indeed too long to be a vaccine reaction. You can consider to do the panel, I would probably do it.
What antibiotic did she take? Is she still breathing fast? It's the only "specific" symptom you mentioned, so I think maybe it could be a respiratory infection. You could ask to do an x-ray first, which is also probably cheaper and the only way to exclude some diseases.
The vet didn't think she was breathing fast-- I think she probably was breathing normally and I was just watching her too closely lol.

She sounded and looked great on examination. He listened to her lungs and heart etc. All were fine. We're waiting to get the CBC back today and then will see about sending out the other labs.

I am reading online FUO can come and go over 2 weeks. He gave her an injectable antibiotic and we start oral ones this morning. It looks like he just gave her a steroid as a fever reducer so maybe it's stopped working already.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I unfortunately do not have much to add in this case but I just wanted to help bump the thread so others who might have experience see it.

——————————————————

Maybe I can get the ideas rolling though?

Hmm... what antibiotic shot did she get? Convenia? My kitty cat was on 3 different antibiotics before she finally got one that killed the infection... it could be the one she got has no effect on the sickness?

The 4 I am aware of are:

1) Convenia (injection)
2) Clevaseptin (small round pill given daily)
3) Marbofloxacin (small round pill given daily)
4) Clindamycin (big a* pill that is human sized and is a pain to give to a cat daily)

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I just looked it up and it looks like your “Clyndodrops” are actually ClinDrops which is a liquid form of my Clindamycin... wish I could have gotten it in a liquid form for my kitty cat.

But yeah, maybe she needs one of the other antibiotics? Did they do a culture/swab tests first to check what kind of infection she might have?

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good news! Her fever is gone this morning! Temp is 101.8! And she's running around like a little monkey in the bathroom. We're going to keep her in there just until we get the CBC results today.

Thanks!