10-mo-old Kitten Has Lump Between Shoulder Blades. Tell Me What Else It Could Be...

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know any injections can cause sarcoma and I also know vets aren't supposed to give vaccines between the shoulder blades anymore because of it. I don't know where she had her vaccines because I didn't see them give them. She did have a rabies vaccine maybe 3 weeks ago and I don't know where they gave that one. I almost hope it was given there, so that it could be a benign vaccine reaction.
But she is also chipped at that site, and she's had lots of subQ fluid injections there as a baby when she was sick. Vet isn't open til Monday and I'm freaking out.

What ELSE could it be? Anyone with experience with a lump there and had it be something that wasn't cancer?? I'm reading up and sarcoma is ALL I'm finding.

She has survived panleukopenia and calicivirus as a baby. I don't want her to have to go through anything else horrible.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they can have an inflammatory reaction to microchips and fluids too. I have a friend whose cat got a lump around her microchip. It hadn't progressed to cancer by the time she had it removed. I think if you have it removed right away (or whatever the vet says) it should be fine.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
is it possible you are feeling the microchip itself? Is it hard and tiny? I can feel one of my cats' chips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marblesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read the chip is the size of a grain of rice? This is more like maybe a kidney bean. I think I can feel the chip nearby it but separate.