10 days premature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread_Gem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my poor (pedigree, properly registered) Ragdoll mommy just gave birth to her second litter overnight. She had 9 (!) kittens. 7 were stillborn or deceased by the time I woke up and found them. 2 were alive but very cold.

The surviving two are in an incubator set to 35 celcius. They have had half a ml of kitten milk replacer each but I am scared because they dont seem to be able to swallow very well and I dont want them to aspirate. They otherwise seem very strong considering their circumstances. Their mom is still interested in them and showing them love but she doesn't realise how delicate they are so I'm supervising them closely and mostly leaving the kittens in the incubator for now. I would really like some tips regarding feeding these tiny babies without causing them to aspirate?? mom has very patiently sat while I tried to get them to latch but they just can't suck at all. If I can get them to swallow better I will feel much more confident. they seemed exhausted after just getting half a ml and I'm sure they should be having 1 or 2 full ml?
att.NiVU6GrVkn1jbHX1mb3Tbt5z259VujTt4dzaBwG-qNk.jpg

the formula is extra watery and being given via a 1ml sterile needleless syringe. I have plenty of these on hand.

I'm also wracking my brain trying to figure out just why this happened at all :( my cats have high quality cat food and are well looked after. mom has been on kitten food since 2 weeks into pregnancy. all meals are high in protein. She has showed no signs of being unwell and was acting completely normal, there were no signs she might go into labour at all. If she has another litter in a year or so is this likely to happen again? considering her first litter (6 kittens) went perfectly. I just cant see why this should have happened :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
working with syringe is usually good enough. but safer may be a sond into stomach [=tube feeding]. this is tricky the first time you do it, and you must have proper gears. do you have a vet or rescuer nearby whom can show you??

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
what kmr do you have?
can you get raw goats milk?

can you get glucose sugar / dextrose?

a drop or two of simethicone may be useful if they have any problems with gases - compare to children kolik.

an IR heating lamp may be useful, so they dont get chilled while weighting or handfeeding…

ps what are their start weights in gramnes? any changes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gingerbread_Gem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
weights are 56 and 71g. unfortunately the smaller one has just passed away :( I have royal canin babycat milk. I don't know where to get raw goat milk unfortunately

Gingerbread_Gem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can get glucose syrup from the supermarket if thats the right kind of thing?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
weights are 56 and 71g. unfortunately the smaller one has just passed away :( I have royal canin babycat milk. I don't know where to get raw goat milk unfortunately
56 is little, but sometimes they had survived. Great pity he died, but being that much premature...
71 is more to work with.... Lets hope for the best.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can get glucose syrup from the supermarket if thats the right kind of thing?
I hope so. Vets have sometimes glucose sugar / dextrose proper. Bakeryies too use dextrose. (its a mild sweetener for them, useful also for lackering the cakes.)
Amazon sells.
Some sport shops should have.

Why Im talking glucose sugar / dextrose.
Its useful in many situations with weak kittens... Feks having a droplet on the gum inside the lip; gives quick energhy...
When a kitten seems to fade because of low glucose in blood.

A chilled off kitten - cant digest, but glucose goes straight into the blood.
Same for very weak kittens, seemingly dying - digesting has stopped but glucose may buy them some time for recovery.

Etc.

Works also with humans of course.

Gingerbread_Gem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the kitten I have left is getting the hang of swallowing his milk, thankfully. he still seems reluctant to eat more than 0.5ml at a time

Gingerbread_Gem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think i can get the glucose in the bakery section of my local supermarket then :) I will pop out for some

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
the kitten I have left is getting the hang of swallowing his milk, thankfully. he still seems reluctant to eat more than 0.5ml at a time
So give him often, at least every hour. You can also reinforce with giving him a droplet of glucose sugar / white caro syrup on the gum before he eats - hoping he will be stronger.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. they look hairless, but its in part because, being points, they are born white... Although I know being very premie, they ARE more or less hairless...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A preemie this small cannot hold more than 0.5mL per hour. It will be a labor of love to keep this one going because you need to feed around the clock. The only alternative might be tube feeding, but this is very dangerous without proper training. Getting this kitten to 100 grams will be a milestone.

I cannot imagine what triggered such premature labor beyond the fact that growing 9 kittens was simply too much for her body to handle.

You could call a rescue to see if they have tiny orphaned kittens who need a mother, especially if your cat is filling with milk. Beyond that, I would consider spaying her once this kitten or any others you may take in are weaned.

G Gingerbread_Gem

Gingerbread_Gem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to find a reason for the premature labour... I have been turning my balcony into a catio and before letting them in there I wanted to give the floor a good clean to protect mom from nasty bacteria/parasites or anything like that. the cleaner I used contains Methylisothiazolinone (MIT) and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (CMIT), which I just learned may be toxic. She literally had the kittens the same day as I let her on the balcony for the first time. Did I make this happen with these cleaning products?? :frown:

our last little baby died last night :frown: he was getting so good at eating, his mom had made him do a wee and he was even starting to try and latch onto her. half an hour later when it was time to feed again he was floppy and gasping and then he was gone :frown::frown::frown:

mom is currently feeding the 1 year old kitten we kept from the last litter, which I will let continue to a point as it should ease any discomfort from having milk but no babies but really I want her to keep all her reserves for recovering after the whole ordeal.

att.ZuIh4_Lqt6vwd_W44mlRqUisQuDg7N1zfFviOwxmgSQ.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've been trying to find a reason for the premature labour... I have been turning my balcony into a catio and before letting them in there I wanted to give the floor a good clean to protect mom from nasty bacteria/parasites or anything like that. the cleaner I used contains Methylisothiazolinone (MIT) and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (CMIT), which I just learned may be toxic. She literally had the kittens the same day as I let her on the balcony for the first time. Did I make this happen with these cleaning products?? :frown:

our last little baby died last night :frown: he was getting so good at eating, his mom had made him do a wee and he was even starting to try and latch onto her. half an hour later when it was time to feed again he was floppy and gasping and then he was gone :frown::frown::frown:

mom is currently feeding the 1 year old kitten we kept from the last litter, which I will let continue to a point as it should ease any discomfort from having milk but no babies but really I want her to keep all her reserves for recovering after the whole ordeal.
Im sorry, that was bad news... Peculiar as he was going to start up... :(

If you wish get foster kittens to your momma - you KNOW she is a very good momma, try to contact vets around.

Shelters may need foster mommas them too; but infection pressure is higher in many shelters... So even if the biological momma didnt die from some horrible disease, kittens may have some virus on them...
But vets may have knowledge of breeders or family girls whom have a big batch, or such...

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the site Team, we are very sorry for your loss. :hugs: Threads are closed after such a loss as a sign of respect. If you feel up to it please consider starting a tribute thread in out Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace little one. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.