1 Year Old Snowshoe Siamese Wants To Be The Only One.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucy Lue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In no particular order...

If you decide to re-home her, sooner is better than later, but since you have a home in mind, you can hedge your bets a bit. Have your friend spend more time with your cat, especially playing with her. If you decide to re-home her, then spending a couple of months building a bond between them will help smooth it, and if not, your cat gets some additional play, taking a little bit of pressure of of you, and you get a better cat-sitter for that travel (which I have to say is the one thing that probably is as problematic as people say, when it comes to Siamese and related breeds.)

As to your concerns,
Children and cats are a mixed bag. On the negative side, the cat may be jealous and both cat and child will need supervision and training to get along, and you probably can expect some misbehavior from your cat for a time. Millions of households have children and cats and seem to do okay, so as long as you put in the work(and you seem like the sort of person who will), it will probably work out.
There's a positive aspect to children and cats. Children have lots of energy to play with cats, and, parenthood tends to lead to a more routine and ordered life (which cats like.)
So, IMO, there's no reason why you can't make it work, if that is 2hat you want.

As to a companion cat, I've struggled with that question for my own cat, and there isn't a clear answer, because the results vary. Sometimes you get two cats who become nearly inseparable, sometimes they barely interact, and sometimes it is a negative experience for them.

Ultiamtely, nothing that I've read makes me think that you need to give your cat up, she's a little bit of a bratty young thing, but nothing too unusual for her breed or age.

Siamese (and close breeds like snowshoes) do like to be a challange. They're intelligent enough to not only know what they want, but to think up alternate plans to achieve their goals. The first week I had Freya, she (playfully) bit my right foot, and when scolded she stopped and then attacked my left foot two seconds later, since she decided i must surely have only meant that she wasn't allowed to bite my right foot. Months alter, i finally got her to (mostly) stop biting feet for attention, and that behavior was immediately replaced by her "punching" (as in flying kicks with her front paws) my leg instead. That's just how Siamese cats are. ;)
Really appreciate your help. You answered everything. Thanks so much @sargon