1 Year Old Cat Seemingly Doesn’t Eat Enough

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old cat, Otis, is usually very excited for meal time in the morning and again after I get home from work. He also knows about meal time right before bed and is quick to remind me if I forget! I have 4 cats total in the household. All males. I keep to a pretty strict routine of feeding and they all do pretty well. The problem is Otis is like 2 pounds lighter than everyone else. He certainly doesn’t look unhealthy and he plays normally and has a generally healthy appearance. I feed wet food only with a very rare dry food snack or treat. Otis just never got to be a big eater and now I’m more worried because I’ve noticed he eats so little for each meal. Like maybe a 3 oz can total all day split into 3 meals. It’s definitely not within the feeding guidelines for an adult cat his size. He weighs about 9 pounds.

Yes, I’ve tried it all. Warming food up, doesn’t work. Switching foods, doesn’t work. Even if he seems to really like it, he still doesn’t eat that much. Then if I try to add a topper or anything unique to his food he won’t touch it. He seems easily distracted when he eats and comes over to me to ask for something while he still has food in his dish. So it’s confusing, he acts hungry and purrs constantly while getting fed. But he never eats what I would consider a “normal” amount. He LOVES dry food but I refuse to give in and just feed him dry unless that really seems like my only solution at this point. I know I could try one of those chip feeders so he can graze more without over feeding my other cats but I don’t think it would work. He circles back for more food sometimes but he never actually eats anything especially not if it’s the same food from earlier. So what are my options?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Emerson is like this. He is the longest cat I've ever had and tops the scale at around 13.5 lbs, but he is very lean. According to the packages, he should eat 260 calories per day, but he just...doesn't. He eats what he wants (sometimes all of it, sometimes half...he never not eats) and then just walks off. My opinion? As long as Otis is maintaining his weight, don't fret too much. Or maybe he needs smaller meals throughout the day?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like maybe a 3 oz can total all day split into 3 meals.
3oz total for the day is definitely not enough. That's about how much wet food Demi will eat, so I have to give him dry food too. He is so stubborn, he acts like his life is over if he doesn't get his kibble.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Emerson is like this. He is the longest cat I've ever had and tops the scale at around 13.5 lbs, but he is very lean. According to the packages, he should eat 260 calories per day, but he just...doesn't. He eats what he wants (sometimes all of it, sometimes half...he never not eats) and then just walks off. My opinion? As long as Otis is maintaining his weight, don't fret too much. Or maybe he needs smaller meals throughout the day?
I agree with this. I also have 4 cats (1 male, 3 females), 3 of which are related, that range in weight from 7 to 11 lbs. Some cats are just smaller/thinner/less food-motivated than others. And the 7 pound cat (Blue, see profile pic) is the MOST active and playful, BY FAR!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi ate more than 3oz per day when he was a 3 pound baby. I would try to increase it to at least 6oz per day.