1 week Old Kitten with swollen Arm & bruise in face

Status
Not open for further replies.

dane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 days old kitten is bottle fed, urinating & pooping normal but today, he is not eating much & doesn’t interact more as usual & we noticed that he has swollen arm & bruise in his face. we suspect that our old cats accidentally stepped on the baby’s crib and could have stepped on his arm. any remedies u can recommend? Unfortunately, vets here don’t accept kittens this old to be treated.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! It sounds like another older, much larger cat has injured this tiny baby for sure. I am concerned about possible internal injuries. Also, if the arm is that swollen, have you checked for a bite mark? It’s also possible the kitten’s arm is broken.

This kitten really needs to be checked over by a vet. Since you say that is not possible, there’s little you can do but hope the injuries heal on their own with time.

Please see that the kitten is placed where another cat CANNOT get anywhere near it at anytime day or night!

Also, handle the kitten especially gently due to the injuries.

Are you keeping the kitten warm? Kittens under 3 weeks old cannot regulate their own body temperatures and so must be kept warm with a heating pad set on low under the blanket, or a rice sock microwaved and wrapped in a towel and placed nearby, or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. The kitten needs something to cuddle like a stuffed toy as well.

How about putting the kitten inside a cat carrier for now so he or she is protected, and just get him out for feedings? Once the kitten becomes mobile, continue to keep it away from your other cats. As you have learned, a tiny kitten is no match for larger cats.

I do hope your kitten will recover! Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for this, I appreciate it big time!

there is no visible bite mark, however I cannot really tell because if I move him too much I'm afraid it will hurt him more.

Yes, the kitten is kept warm with heating pad set for low. I already transferred him to smaller crib wherein no one can reach him. I will keep you guys posted and if there is anything you think I can do to make his pain a little bearable please do tell. :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for this, I appreciate it big time!

there is no visible bite mark, however I cannot really tell because if I move him too much I'm afraid it will hurt him more.

Yes, the kitten is kept warm with heating pad set for low. I already transferred him to smaller crib wherein no one can reach him. I will keep you guys posted and if there is anything you think I can do to make his pain a little bearable please do tell. :(
You had got excellent advices by SArthur.

Kittens do have a quite a good healing meat, and can often themselves heal even quite serious hurts,
so lets hope for the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, sorry if I wasn’t able to update you guys, it took time to process everything… unfortunately, the kitten died same day I posted this concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.