1 week old kitten fell 2-3 feet onto hard floor

Henzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm new here, I'm having a bit of a panic moment and wanted to get some reassurance or advice on this situation.

I have my orphan kittens set up in a carrier on the bed so that I can monitor them while I work at my desk nearby. While I was feeding one of her siblings, one of the kittens pushed open the door, crawled out, and then fell onto the floor about 2-3 feet onto the hard floor. She seemed stunned for a moment was gently crying, 5 minutes after I freaked out and looked her over, I went to feed her as normal. She latched onto and ate with gusto from the bottle, pooped, peed, and went right to bed when I set her back into the nest. She's been yawning and cuddling into her siblings seemingly fine. I've been checking to see if she's responsive to me nudging her, and her siblings crawling on her, and she is. I held her recently and she was trying to nurse into my hand and gumming me.

It's been about 2 hours and there's no seizures or crying from her, no bleeding, vomiting or anything like that
. Will she be okay? I do have an ER vet on hand, but they told me to monitor her as well and take her in if she's acting weird, so I have a pretty clear idea of watch out for.

How long until she's in the clear after such a fall? If it was a serious injury would she be crying and unresponsive right away? I want to stay up all night with her because I'm so sick with worry.

Have any of you been in a similar situation with kittens this little?

Anyway, thanks for reading, I've been crying and feeling like total garbage since this happened and I just want her to be okay :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds fine! If she was seriously injured she would not nurse and you would already have seen seizures, so consider yourself lucky!

With that being said, put their nest on the floor right away so this is never again an issue.

Relax and continue caring for these babies as you have been, and stop beating yourself up!

Thank you for caring for them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Henzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She sounds fine! If she was seriously injured she would not nurse and you would already have seen seizures, so consider yourself lucky!

With that being said, put their nest on the floor right away so this is never again an issue.

Relax and continue caring for these babies as you have been, and stop beating yourself up!

Thank you for caring for them!
Thank you so much for such a prompt response, I was shocked when she latched and sucked down her dinner right after such an experience, I should have seen that as a good sign, but I've been so stressed from work and lack of sleep, naturally my brain went into full on panic mode

So if there isn't an instant reaction to injury she should be alright then? Nothing crazy is gonna pop up a few hours from now or anything? Sorry to bombard with questions, this is my first time caring for newborn kitties, especially ones that have dropped from such a height.

I can't keep their nest on the floor, unfortunately, but I do promise I will line the area with blankets and pillows and close and latch the carrier properly with each and every feeding so this doesn't happen again! This one time I forget to latch it right and the kitten is able to push it open and fling herself from the bed, typical :(

Henzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's never happened to me but kittens do recover well on their owN. Just make sure she is no where she can jump or stumble for a day
I don't have a lot of experience with kittens this young but I feel that they're so fragile that something like this would hurt them irreversibly. Thank you though, I'll make absolutely sure this does not happen again, ever.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for fostering! Your observations are excellent and I agree with everything that you have been advised thus far. Get your sleep - you need to take care of yourself, too, so you will be in shape to care for your tinies..💕🙏💞

Henzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for fostering! Your observations are excellent and I agree with everything that you have been advised thus far. Get your sleep - you need to take care of yourself, too, so you will be in shape to care for your tinies..💕🙏💞
No problem, I found the little guys on the side of the road in a tiny box at just one day old, I want to work my ass off to give them a second chance since no one else was willing to, ya know?

Thank you though, this has been very reassuring to me and you guys have been so kind!

Henzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to bump the thread, but I have an update, the dropped kitten is eating like a horse, responsive, and doing just fine!

After her meal she cuddled up into my chest and almost fell asleep purring, I am so relieved!