1 or 2 kittens to join adult cat?

Berickson1114

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am looking for input on whether or not my wife and I get 1 or 2 kittens to join our adult (4yo) female siamese.

We had to put down one of our cats who developed FIPleaving our current cat alone. We know we want to expand our family again but are struggling with whether or not we add 1 or 2 kittens. I have read some articles that lay out the benefit of getting two kittens such as : the kittens will play with each other and not necessarily bother our adult cat, the kittens (would be litter mates) would be familiar with each other and could rely on one another when getting used to our home and current cat.

Our reasoning behind getting only one kitten include: we have had two cats and know that it works for us and our home, it is obviously cheaper ( not a big deal), we don’t want our current cat to feel outnumbered, 3 just sounds like a lot.. no offense to anyone with three cats but there is a possibility of a dog in the future ( at least a few years away) and having 4 animals just sounds like more than my wife and I ever imagined.

Our current cat is amazing. She has never hissed (at all), she still acts like a kitten herself. She has done well when putting up with our young nieces and nephews.

Any opinions and input is welcome.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd personally say 2. :) But since your adult cat isn't too old and is stil playful one might be just fine. Adult cats can just be annoyed by kittens who want to play constantly--it's nice for kittens to have someone their age to play with.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A four-year-old cat is still young enough that a kitten probably wouldn't actually cause her must distress, beyond the initial introductions, and you say she is playful, which is a help. You could get away with adding just one, probably. HOWEVER...for the kitten, having a litter mate with them would make things much easier. And, as you say, they can play together, giving your older girl a break. EITHER could work for your family, although I'm of the, "the more, the merrier" school...although not in my own house, where my girl had made abundantly clear that THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! Left to my own devices, I'd have 5-6.

Now, whether you get one kitten or two, do not be surprised if there is some degree of growling and swatting on the part of your adult cat, even after the introductions. She will simply be teaching these new upstarts their manners in the approved cat way, just the same as their mama did. You will know without the shadow of a doubt if a "real" fight ensues!

And come to think of it, three cats would teach a new pup his proper place in the Grand Scheme of Things very quickly!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can tell you from experience that two kittens increases the chances of problems with your adult cat. We adopted 2 kittens found together when our cat Bandit was a bit older than 4...maybe 8? Anyway, he wasn't very active by then. One of the 2 kittens was always chill, and Bandit always loved that one. One of the kittens was more active, and Bandit didn't get along as well, but everything was fine for a number of months. Then, one day when the kitten was young adult sized, somewhere around 8 months perhaps, Bandit started hissing at when the active kitten wanted to play. I don't know if there was an accidental injury to start it, or if the active kitten just got too big. The active kitten just wanted to play, but apparently some cats hate to be hissed at and have a "you ^%$! talking to me?? You better not be talking to me!" attitude. They started fighting and it was awful, truly awful. Bandit got bitten twice before I gave up and went to separate lives.

Anyway, that story is a rare scenario, maybe very rare, but the point I was trying to make for you is that it is not true that two kittens have the same chance of causing problems as one kitten. Probably not twice as likely, but it does increase the chance of problems.

Bandit and even his biter is long passed, and I have a playful 4 y.o. now that gets along wonderfully with our kitten. They play nicely. Activity level does matter. Two might well work out for you, just saying, if you want to manage your pet-load, don't listen if anyone says "two aren't extra trouble" -- they can be.

Akittytoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 3 cats and 3 golden retriever dogs. I want another cat. I did get kittens that were sisters and won’t do that again. I like a cuddly kitten and the sisters were kitty people not people people. Two of my cats, a five year old and three year old prefer the dogs, and like to think they are dogs. My third cat is a me kitty. She sleeps with me, plays with me, and will swat at the dogs if they get too close to me. I say one kitten and a puppy would be fun,and yes, we have been through that twice. It is so fun.