1 Eye Reflecting red

Ozrat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
G'day. I have a Maine coonev. He is old, roughly about 15 (He was a rescue cat). Over the last month or so I have noticed his left eye reflecting a red color instead of the usual green/yellow (Both his iris' are green). I did take him to the vet who did have a look and was told he had pinpoint cataracts in both eyes. But I cannot find anything regarding why that would make one eye reflect red instead of the usual color. I know for a fact 3 months ago it was reflecting the usual Green/Yellow. Can anyone explain to me why pinpoint cataracts would change the reflection color of one eye?

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I have heard/read about cats' eyes reflecting different colors normally; it has to do with structures within the eye that I will not do a very good job of trying to clarify. These colors usually seem to be green, yellow, or red and might have something to do with the breed of the cat. In your case, the fact that it came on suddenly is the one outlying factor. Cataracts usually make the eye of a human or animal milky or cloudy in appearance. Did the vet say that the color change was related to the cataracts? I am assuming that he did not give you a satisfactory answer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ozrat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No he did not. At first I trusted the information. Did a little research on it and I can not find any mention of pinpoint cataracts changing the eyes reflected color. It is possible he may have misunderstood what I meant but the word 'reflection' is fairly specific.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Your question is quite clear, so I don't think that he should have misunderstood. Since your appointment was recent, the cat was seen in person, I would call back ( I don't think you should have to go in) and ask directly for an explanation of the sudden change in the color of the eye. If you are told what I wrote earlier about it being common in certain breeds, stress that it was not for your cat for the previous part of his life and you are concerned.

Other option is a veterinary ophthalmologist if there is one in your area. This may not actually warrant that kind of visit, hopefully, but they would be able to discuss this and the cataracts in more detail. My dog saw one a couple years ago and the problem he was having was solved instantly.