1 day old kittens sleeping away from queen and other questions

Peblu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My queen had her first litter last night.

At the moment the 4 kittens sleep together away from her. This morning they have been nursing. Is it normal for her to walk away for 30 mins at a time and leave them alone?

please see picture. She is currently 25cm away from them. Some are sleeping, 1 is moving and doesn’t cry MUCH.

Please can you let me know if I should move the kittens and place them next to her? To keep them warm? I’m alarmed because I thought the queen stayed with the newborns to keep them warm.
Thank you

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, mom cats do move away from their babies for short breaks once the babies are fed and sleeping. I wouldn't be concerned about a half hour but it is good to weigh the babies daily to make sure they are gaining and consider adding a warming pad underneath them if the room is cool.

I also noticed her next is quite small and she is going to need a bigger place to stretch out and nurse and it needs sides so babies don’t inadvertently wander too far. A large box on its side perhaps or a wide shallow plastic tub with bedding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peblu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my experience, mom cats do move away from their babies for short breaks once the babies are fed and sleeping. I wouldn't be concerned about a half hour but it is good to weigh the babies daily to make sure they are gaining and consider adding a warming pad underneath them if the room is cool.

I also noticed her next is quite small and she is going to need a bigger place to stretch out and nurse and it needs sides so babies don’t inadvertently wander too far. A large box on its side perhaps or a wide shallow plastic tub with bedding.
Thank you for your response. Where can I get a heating pad from? I have checked online and they are waterproof electric ones? Please can you direct me?
I am concerned she is staying in her box. She gave birth in this box in her car tree house high up. Last night we unscrewed the tree house and moved the box inside a pet kennel. See picture. She wouldn’t nurse inside the kennel and preferred the box. The box is dirty, dried blood. When she left her box this morning I removed the box and left the kittens inside the pen but she wasn’t happy! I have left the box inside the pen. This is because the cats scent is on the base of the box (the dark blue fur). I set up another cardboard box but she decided to give birth in the cat tree house which is unsafe for wandering blind newborns.
I understand she doesn’t have much space to sprawl but she won’t leave her cat tree house ‘box’.

I’m the end we moved the tree house ‘box’ into the pen because it’s safer. If I remove the box with the dried blood etc. she ignores the kittens and just stares and starts pacing looking for holes for a new nest….

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Peblu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again this morning I found my queen has moved one of the kittens here inside an old glass lampshade! I am alarmed because this is the other side of the bedroom. She’s doing this to cover their scent from predators I believe but it’s unsafe. I have moved the kitten back into the original nest. Any advice?

Attachments

Peblu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again this morning I found my queen has moved one of the kittens here inside an old glass lampshade! I am alarmed because this is the other side of the bedroom. She’s doing this to cover their scent from predators I believe but it’s unsafe. I have moved the kitten back into the original nest. Any advice?
I have foundanother kitten on the other side of the room. She is moving them to other places (around the same area) because
1. To hide their scent from predators?
2. To give them a cleaner space?
I really don’t know

I find it unsettling knowing a 2 day old kitten is alone on the other side of the room. Both times different kitten, moving them one by one.
I have therefore removed the ‘navy box’ from her pen. I think it’s too dirty? I’m not sure. Going to see how it goes. Any advice please?
Thank you.

Peblu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She showed strange behavior this morning picking up the kittens and leaving them in places or on the carpet.
It’s been nearly 7 hours and she hasn’t nursed her kittens. She’s picking random ones and putting them in other corners or on the carpet. I am baffled and worried for the kittens health

Peblu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update to anyone reading. I have moved the kittens to her nipples and there’s SOME progress

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You will need to step in immediately, --just got your update, whew!! --and begin feeding the kittens, and check with shelters and rescue groups if there is a mama that just gave birth and lost her litter, that could take one or two of these.

Depending on whether she lets them continue nursing and if they are strong enough to do so, you may want to rub a little honey on their gums for the bit of energy it will give them, and this website can help with everything including cleaning their bums, etc.

Bottle Feeding — Kitten Lady

Kitten Care - View All — Kitten Lady

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens must feed every 2 hours from mom. If not, you must begin hand feeding them yourself around the clock! Seven hours is too long for them to go without eating!

If necessary, put mom and kittens in a large crate together so that she will feed them and not hide them around the room.

Here is a helpful video for syringe feeding:
Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

P Peblu

Peblu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens must feed every 2 hours from mom. If not, you must begin hand feeding them yourself around the clock! Seven hours is too long for them to go without eating!

If necessary, put mom and kittens in a large crate together so that she will feed them and not hide them around the room.

Here is a helpful video for syringe feeding:
Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

P Peblu
Ok
I have a large crate and will set it up and see if she moves there. I was shocked to see that she’s moved one inside a lamp shade. And left another on the carpet……

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, you move her and the kittens into the crate yourself. It is not up to her. Kittens MUST stay warm and fed. You can let mom out every couple of hours for now for a short break and to eat, drink, and use the litter. Then she goes back. This may need to be the plan until the kittens are 3 weeks old and can regulate their own body temperature.

Peblu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, you move her and the kittens into the crate yourself. It is not up to her. Kittens MUST stay warm and fed. You can let mom out every couple of hours for now for a short break and to eat, drink, and use the litter. Then she goes back. This may need to be the olan until the kittens are 3 weeks old and can regulate their own body temperature.
Ok thanks for your advice I really really appreciate it.

Peblu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi cat lovers
So I created a crate with a soft blanket inside and she wasn’t happy. Started pacing and meowing anxiously. So I put them back into her nest.
She’s been ok all day and night but every morning same time she picks a kitten up (3 days old) and places them in random places. So one day she put one inside a lampshade, then on the floor…in a congested area of the room and today she put one on a book shelf. I only know this because I can hear the kitten loudly crying.
I am lucky to be at home and move them back into the nest!!!
I can’t keep this up if I go out she moves one here and there what am I to do!? There are no predators, we do not disturb her… I honestly didn’t expect this. Her current nest please see picture . Every morning she moves one else where but is happy at night/ day in this pen.

Attachments

Peblu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put the newborns in this crate but my queen. Did not warm to it. She paced up and down the room meowing loudly and nervous. I put the litter black into the original place where she stayed with them and nursed. But come morning she takes one out and leaves it in the most random places….

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I thought you’d put them into a crate or other enclosure with a door that would close, forcing mom to stay with her kittens and preventing mom from moving the kittens. I’m not sure what the solution is. Hoping mom will settle down soon!

Peblu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought you’d put them into a crate or other enclosure with a door that would close, forcing mom to stay with her kittens and preventing mom from moving the kittens. I’m not sure what the solution is. Hoping mom will settle down soon!
Thank you for your response.

Well I do have a zip on the current pen but she wasn’t happy with the zip closed. So I will try my best and keep an eye on her. I have my spy camera on her watching her all day. I do have another question if you could help me please. I have noticed she opens her mouth when nursing. Something she never did before apart from panting when in labour. But her mouth is open wider than that! Please see picture. Are you or anyone else familiar with why she is doing this?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s her response to the rigors of nursing. It’s hard work having kittens pulling on you and kneading with sharp little claws.

You can trim the very tips of the kittens’ front claws. Believe it or not, tiny kittens already have sharp claws!

Also, are you giving mom extra calcium? As in a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink? She needs it while nursing. Low calcium can be dangerous and can cause panting and other issues.