1 and 1/2 year male grey tabby is absolutely insane

westhoffenator

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I acquired a pair of sibling grey tabbys, one male and one female, about a year ago and the male is so full of wild energy that it's becoming a real problem. I live alone in a loft so there are no rooms, just one big giant room basically, and the male is constantly running around, breaking things, moaning, and attacking his sister. Obviously, this cat needs to be outside. I think I made a mistake in thinking he could be contained inside all the time. I would love to let him outside, but I live in an area that is too urban for that to be currently plausible. I play with them regularly to give them exercise, but it's not enough. Does anyone have any suggestions? I work from home as an illustrator and film editor and can barely find peace in my own house because my cat is incredibly wild. 

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Andy

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has he been neutered. If not that is the first step. Since you don't have a lot of space I would add shelves and boxes he can climb. 

luna tuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he fixed? If he isn't, getting him fixed may help. If he is, you might want to take him to the vet. Does he eat constantly? How's his coat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

westhoffenator

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah he's neutered. Those are good suggestions. Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

westhoffenator

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah he's fixed. Physically he looks fine. Smooth clean coat and he eats regularly and normally. I think he's just full of a ridiculous amount of energy.

luna tuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think vertical play space may help him a lot. Also, if you can, plenty of interactive play time would help too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does your loft have really high ceilings? If so, then you need to get the tallest cat tree you can afford
Cats love vertical space and many single level lofts have all that wasted vertical space so you might as well put it to good use
As an example, here's a video of the world's tallest cat tree: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/314690/worlds-tallest-cat-tree If you own the loft, then maybe you can put in cat walks spanning across the room. Wall perches that span across the wall might be another option.