1 abnormally large kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

silasandlucian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My 2 year old cat Baby had her first litter of kittens on March 11th, I was & am super happy but the whole birth went well she had 4! After she finished & I got to get a good look at them I noticed one is alot larger than the others his belly when born was the size of a golf ball, I decided to wait to see if he got any larger, he has, he's now the size of a tennis ball, were taking him to the vet soon (She only comes in once a month small town) I don't understand what could be causing this, all the others are fine, he eats just fine & is okay when picked up (I tell everyone not to move him) besides when he rolls on his back he can't roll back over, I'm afraid it may be a tumor? Has anyone heard of this before?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post some photos?  

Do you plan to spay after this litter?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi! My 2 year old cat Baby had her first litter of kittens on March 11th, I was & am super happy but the whole birth went well she had 4! After she finished & I got to get a good look at them I noticed one is alot larger than the others his belly when born was the size of a golf ball, I decided to wait to see if he got any larger, he has, he's now the size of a tennis ball, were taking him to the vet soon (She only comes in once a month small town) I don't understand what could be causing this, all the others are fine, he eats just fine & is okay when picked up (I tell everyone not to move him) besides when he rolls on his back he can't roll back over, I'm afraid it may be a tumor? Has anyone heard of this before?
its quite common kittens may have bellies.   sometimes quite protruding.  But I understand his is ´very noticeably bigger than the others, hindering his movements..  Do you see if he poes and pees - I understand its not easy to see - momma usually eats up the leftovers, so usually its just caretakers of orphans whom see it...

Tumor in NOT common with so small kittens. But may surely be much else...  Does he react if you try to gently touch the tummy?

Lets hope for the best as he seems OK, and lets hope the vet will know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silasandlucian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was seen at the vet this morning, he has to be put asleep, he was born without a urine hole, they drained his belly, tonight is the last night I have with him.. there's nothing anyone here can do for him, I know I've only had him for a short time but I can't seem to stop crying.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How was the vet able to determine this?

This is terribly sad. I don't blame you for crying. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

ellie clarke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry for your loss, my cat just has 6 kittens and hoping they are all healthy. I don't blame you for crying I would do the same. How is moma cat doing

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your kitten! I would absolutely be crying too, please don't feel ashamed about that. 

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this! I have never heard of this before, at least he will not suffer. Rest in Peace little guy!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this @SilasAndLucian  I'm sure you must have got very attached to the little guy even though he was only with you for a short time.

We always lock the threads as a sign of respect when a cat or kitten passes away. If you would like to start a thread in his memory you can do so in our Crossing The Bridge Forum.

http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge

Rest in Peace Little guy, you were loved.

Status
Not open for further replies.