1.5 y/o neutered male peed in the sink

coffeespoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm at work, and I'm wondering how worried I need to be. I'm raising 2 cats. My younger cat, a 1.5y neutered male Kong, occasionally pees outside the litter box, but it's usually a one-off event and doesn't happen again for a while. I took him to the vet for it about a year ago, and the doctor said Kong was perfectly healthy, and it was likely a behavioral issue due to a stressful event, like me being sick or coming home later than usual. It's been happening less and less frequently, so I haven't worried much about it until this morning. I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and Kong followed me in. He sat in the sink, and I noticed he was really still and sitting like he was peeing. I thought it was funny, until I realized he, in fact, WAS PEEING in my sink. I let him finish and cleaned up the sink, no problem. I checked his litter box, and he had peed a couple times in it since I cleaned it the night before. My cats exclusively use their own litter boxes and don't really share, so it wasn't his sister's pee. The color of the litter clump was normal.

He's been drinking and eating fine, including regular wet food. He didn't yowl in pain while he peed, the pee came out in a consistent stream, and otherwise his behavior is completely normal. He also didn't pee anywhere else in the house. He waited until I went to the bathroom, followed me there, and peed in the sink in front of me. I'm just worried because this was so different from his usual pee attacks. Usually he finds a blanket, plastic bag, or box, sits and naps on it for several days, and then suddenly decides to pee on it, and he doesn't care whether or not I'm looking while he does it. He often does it while I'm sleeping. Urinary issues for cats are new to me because his older sister has never had these issues, so I don't know what is "normal" peeing outside the box and what is more concerning. I guess I'm scared that I'll come home after work and discover that he's terribly sick. I plan to take him to the vet after work today anyways, but until then, I'm kind of freaking out.

Sorry if this is a lot, and thank you for any insight you can share about my situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coffeespoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't had one done because the vet said since it was only occasional, it was likely a behavioral issue. I definitely should've pressed harder to have the test done, or visited a different hospital for a second opinion. When I take him again after work, I'll press harder for the doctor to do some tests. The vet clinic I go to is walk-in only for basic check-ups (which seems to be standard where I live), and sometimes it feels like the doctor is trying to get you in and out as quickly as possible, especially if you go in an hour before closing (usually my only option).

How do you make sure that your cat's bladder is full for the vet visit?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually this is a sign of FLUTD and not a behavioural issue. Walk-in vets usually deal with emergencies and not so much versed in on going conditions. For example, they're good with the initial uti infection but not a FLUTD flare.
I had an emergency vet ask me what I wanted him to do with my cat with FLUTD one time. Then he went and pulled up some search engine and gave him a prescription