Adding a kitten

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted before about my yearling boys . I’m not splitting them up and I’ve accepted that the one boy is just a bit shyer and more bonded to my daughter than anyone else . Here’s where my question is , I’m thinking no but I’m not 100% sure . I came across an ad for kittens and I know it’s that time of year but I really loved this one because he looks like an old cat I used to have . I messaged the owner and they said he’s quite sweet . Well that does it , it’s hard to resist . But how hard would it be to introduce a young kitten to year old kittens and an older cat ? How crazy would it be ? Would I have to confine him for long before hand if he’s healthy ? I’m trying to think the pros and cons through first before just doing it

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on how your older cat did with the one year olds, and if he is now totally comfortable with them. Because, if the older cat really didn't do great with the one year olds, and even now isn't comfortable with them, the new kitten could pretty easily refan those flames back to life and make it a bit of an unpleasant mess. But if the older cat eventually befriended the one year olds, it should be about the same difficulty. Subject to some randomness of course; if the kitten is randomly more active and focused on the older cat, then it could be a whole different thing.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So you have 3 cats if I read that right? Every time you add a new cat it can either go well or not go well. It can be a bit of a gamble. I would think the younger cats might accept it better. Either way though, the dynamics will likely change. Your oldest cat might decide to withdraw more. Your new cat could end up a bully. It's really hard to predict! I've even had foster kittens who were sweet to me, but were hissy with others. Bringing another cat into the fold isn't something that should be done lightly, so it's good you're taking some time to think about it.

Aside from the cat-cat relationships, are you prepared for providing for a 4th cat? Vet bills (now and in the future), extra litter, extra litter boxes, additional food, etc? I'm sure you've probably thought of this, and of course I don't know your circumstances, but it is a important factor. One of my cats ended up on prescription food that costs a pretty penny and will need dental cleanings in the future.

Any new cat should be quarantined for a while as they can have a plethora of things you wouldn't want your cats to get.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! As already mentioned, the current dynamics with your other cats is going to play a role in bringing in another cat. I recall your previous post, and you were worried that the cat that likes your daughter better than anyone else was negatively influencing his brother and you had at one time considered rehoming him - which I am glad to hear you are not pursuing! Has that all been sorted out more now? Does it seem that Arlo is still being' influenced' by his bother Finn? Or, did it turn out to be that each cat was just developing a bit of an independence as they were maturing? The only reason I bring this up is because the new kitten could take on behaviors of the brothers, which you were not terribly fond of. So, keep that in mind. I also hope you aren't considering another cat in the hopes of getting one more like Arlo than Finn - as you will never know for sure about that being the case.

You never mentioned any real issues with your older cat getting along with the two brothers, so it seems like that part might not be a major problem. But, it will still be an adjustment for her too.

I echo all the comments/cautionary statements made by the other members too. The age of this new kitten also has a bearing on how you introduce them, as if he is too small to be on even ground with the 2 one year-olds, the introduction process might need to go a bit slower/more supervised.

Perhaps, you will find some benefit from reading these TCS articles if you proceed forward.
Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide - TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! As already mentioned, the current dynamics with your other cats is going to play a role in bringing in another cat. I recall your previous post, and you were worried that the cat that likes your daughter better than anyone else was negatively influencing his brother and you had at one time considered rehoming him - which I am glad to hear you are not pursuing! Has that all been sorted out more now? Does it seem that Arlo is still being' influenced' by his bother Finn? Or, did it turn out to be that each cat was just developing a bit of an independence as they were maturing? The only reason I bring this up is because the new kitten could take on behaviors of the brothers, which you were not terribly fond of. So, keep that in mind. I also hope you aren't considering another cat in the hopes of getting one more like Arlo than Finn - as you will never know for sure about that being the case.

You never mentioned any real issues with your older cat getting along with the two brothers, so it seems like that part might not be a major problem. But, it will still be an adjustment for her too.

I echo all the comments/cautionary statements made by the other members too. The age of this new kitten also has a bearing on how you introduce them, as if he is too small to be on even ground with the 2 one year-olds, the introduction process might need to go a bit slower/more supervised.

Perhaps, you will find some benefit from reading these TCS articles if you proceed forward.
Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide - TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite
Yes they seem to have settled down a lot . Arlo sometimes gets jumpy when he sees his brother get jumpy at noises which is not his natural tendency . But he’s still very sweet . George the older one liked Arlo almost immediately when they were introduced.i did quarantine them a month in my room . He didn’t like Finn and did a lot of hissing but that’s mostly settled down . He did get a little anxious the older they got and more rambunctious they were but that has been calming down too . After thinking about it more I don’t think I want to upset the balance and start all over with another new cat in the mix