My cat ate a french fry! What should I do?

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I left some french fries sitting on the counter while I went to the living room to go check on something. Dewey got up on the counter and started eating. I ran over there as quickly as I could and grabbed him. I tried to open his mouth to see if I could get anything out of his mouth I couldn't. The fries were from Taco Amigo and I'm not sure how much he got. I am think it was only about 1 or 1 1/2. I told my family and then said that I am overyacting and that he'll probably just throw it up. I tried to explain to them that if he does that that we should call the vet immediately. My mom says that we'd do that if he does. But my dad is the type of "animals heal on their own" type of person.

What should I do?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Was it just a plain fry or did it have seasoning or sauce or anything else on them? If it was just a plain fry he will be fine, even one fry with a bit of salt shouldn't hurt him. If it had other seasoning like garlic or onion or if there was sauce, gravy, salsa, chili, etc I would call the vet just to see what to watch for.

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was it just a plain fry or did it have seasoning or sauce or anything else on them? If it was just a plain fry he will be fine, even one fry with a bit of salt shouldn't hurt him. If it had other seasoning like garlic or onion or if there was sauce, gravy, salsa, chili, etc I would call the vet just to see what to watch for.
Or garlic powder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No It was just a regular fry with salt.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your cat will be fine. Heck, my first cat used to eat popcorn with me (sans kernels). Not saying it was a great idea, but it was never an issue. There are all kinds of food when eaten in moderation are not necessarily going to pose an issue. Another one of my cats wanted pieces of potato chips! It's all about moderation, and one French fry would fit under that category.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I left some french fries sitting on the counter while I went to the living room to go check on something. Dewey got up on the counter and started eating. I ran over there as quickly as I could and grabbed him. I tried to open his mouth to see if I could get anything out of his mouth I couldn't. The fries were from Taco Amigo and I'm not sure how much he got. I am think it was only about 1 or 1 1/2. I told my family and then said that I am overyacting and that he'll probably just throw it up. I tried to explain to them that if he does that that we should call the vet immediately. My mom says that we'd do that if he does. But my dad is the type of "animals heal on their own" type of person.

What should I do?
be ready for possible Diarrhea since your unsure exactly how much the cat stole. gonna need to watch human food closely now to since he now knows he can get a few bites soon as your back is turned

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
be ready for possible Diarrhea since your unsure exactly how much the cat stole. gonna need to watch human food closely now to since he now knows he can get a few bites soon as your back is turned
Yeah! He is a sneaky little fella! Thank you!

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She thinks a fry or one and a half. So I don't think so. She is a young person learning about her cat.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah! It's just junk food! It'll just make him fat if he keeps eating it.
If it was really greasy, it might make him get the squirts. He might puke. That's it.

Hopefully, next time he wants to eat some greasy junk food, he'll remember what happened, last time, and think twice about it. ;) ;) ;)

Bellspurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

What should I do?
salt might be what creates more effect but honeslty I wouldn't worry

Bellspurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
salt might be what creates more effect but honeslty I wouldn't worry

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salt isn't such a big deal as long as the cat (or human) is otherwise healthy.

The idea that salt causes high blood pressure is but a myth. It can make high blood pressure and heart problems worse but it isn't the cause.

If you (or your cat) don't have any health issues like high blood pressure or cardiac issues, eating a moderate amount of salt isn't harmful.

Still, I wouldn't let a cat eat salt just on the principle of "Everything in moderation." ;)

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agreeing with everyone that your cat should be fine! Especially since it's just 1 fry. When I was younger we had 3 cats, they would always eat out of the pots and pans when we were done eating, they ate plain pasta, mushrooms, chicken, potato you name it.
It's of course good to check for any signs like diarrhea but I wouldn't worry too much :)

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How's Dewey doing? No issues I presume? Except for him now loving french fries of course but who can blame him ;)