Won’t put the cone on after being spayed

Lanajane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Holly is quite a character. She can be quite feisty. As in growling, hissing, Pawing. With me she is a lovely cat and cuddles and I love her to pieces. Although she had surgery to be spayed yesterday at 3 1/2 years old, it was the most stressful day anyway they did not send her home with a cone I had to run out to the store before they closed, it was impossible to get on her so I called in for back up and still could not got it on. I was so concerned she was going to open her stitches so I set my alarm for two hours. What the heck do I do? Does anybody recommend one of those Amazon colours that might be easier to get on? But she’s a little Houdini so she’ll get out of whatever is annoying her. Anyway, anything would help. From a very stressed cat “loving” mom

also, how does her incision look
020FDFB5-3159-482E-A2E4-6ED81F1EF912.jpeg
? This is from this morning she had her surgery yesterday.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Surgery can be so stressful! Especially when it is our baby-kitties!

Don't worry though. Almost no cat needs a collar after a spay.

At the shelter where I volunteered hundreds of cats were spayed each year and none of them needed collars. Some would even be returned to their feral homes with-in a day and do fine (part of TNR). Watch the site for oozing, excessive redness and swelling, and heat.

I hope she heals quickly and as comfortably as possible!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you feel that she might wear an alternative type of collar, it might be worth a try. Some cat owners use onesies successfully.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had luck with the surgical suit onesies that has various ties along the back you can tighten or loosen to get a snug fit. The one I got was VetMedWear Gown | E-Collar Alternative for Cats, Dogs, and Rabbits from the vet, but you can buy similar ones on amazon. I have also seen some people have luck with human baby onesies, with some modification. For most cats though it is not needed, most are good about leaving the wound alone, the cone or onesies are really just extra protection.

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you want to go the onesie route but don’t have time to wait for a cat onesie to arrive from online you can easily make your own with cotton stockinette, lots of drug stores sell it (I had a box but they typically sell it by the yard too.) I used the 4inch width one but my cat was 12+ lbs so you could go smaller if she’s smaller, it has a lot of stretch to it. You just cut little slits for the arms and legs, scretch the holes as needed once it’s on them, and leave more space at the front than the back so it sits up on the neck nicely, then tighten at top and bottom with elastics/hair ties as needed. One of my cats had an overgrooming habit and had to wear one on and off for most of his life. If cut correctly (only 2.5-3 ish inches from the end and leg slits approximately) there is enough space for them to pee and poo normally without making a mess while still covering the lower stomach/spay incision site. I found it much easier than butchering baby onesies, but fair warning, most cats hate/are confused by the feeling of it at first and will just flop over and not move lol.

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had 2 cats spayed and neither came home with a cone. There was the initial licking to get the vet stink off, but after that, I had no problems.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As other said. Onesie. My girl wouldn't have the cone. She tolerated the onesie for a couple days. The one morning when I woke up I found her half out of it. No idea how she managed that.