Sudden Loss. DISTRAUGHT

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This afternoon my family cat kitty was suddenly put down. He was our “gateway drug” to cats. Showed up one day in 2012 and never left. His loss is hitting me extremely hard.. harder than expected. Since living in my own place and having 3 kitties of my own, I haven’t seen kitty or was able to give him a goodbye which is KILLING me. Please send your thoughts and prayers. For a “feral” cat he was the most loving, affectionate, silly boy. My heart aches.
73759241241__0F262A69-6F2B-4A2F-9E2D-21ED43B38467.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of the family kitty and know that he was definitely loved by you and your family.

I love the pic of his face, he knew you cared for him a lot.
Thank you so much for the kind words, much needed right now. If I could go back in time and give him one more kiss and treat ☹

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see why he was your gateway kitty…what a sweet, soulful face. Even though you can’t hold him or give him a treat, you can still perform healing rituals that help say goodbye spiritually/emotionally. You can write to him, light a candle, meditate, perhaps hold on to a keepsake. He looks like a wonderfully rich character…maybe telling us stories about him here would help.

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can see why he was your gateway kitty…what a sweet, soulful face. Even though you can’t hold him or give him a treat, you can still perform healing rituals that help say goodbye spiritually/emotionally. You can write to him, light a candle, meditate, perhaps hold on to a keepsake. He looks like a wonderfully rich character…maybe telling us stories about him here would help.
I am so beyond grateful for this site and all of you!!! I’m going to say a prayer and light some sage tonight. Thank you for the ideas! I cannot afford to cry anymore I look like the guy for the goonies 😭

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_1921.png
IMG_1918.png
IMG_1922.png
IMG_1927.jpeg
Kitty showed up in our front yard in late 2011/2012, we didn’t have any clue how to care for cats or what to do so me and my sister in law got any lunch meats out of the fridge and needless to say he was starving. As we never had a cat before, we had no idea if he’d come back around or what to name him. Shortly after we got proper food and I would yell “Kitty!!!” And he would come running to eat! He was truly ours from day one. He found us but we were lucky to find him 🥹 as he was a stray / non chipped, he was so cuddly, would love to lay on our laps, and had quite the appetite. He’d get into sooo many scraps with neighborhood cats and survived many of things against all odds. I’m am so thankful for him introducing myself and family to the joy cats bring. He really was one of a kind. It’s surreal he’s gone. 💔

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, you have my heartfelt sympathies on the passing of your feral sweetheart. :hugs: Second, it was fate that he found your family to take him in and give him his forever home. He repaid your gratitude with unconditional love. One of the traditions I started with each pet that passes is to make a memory box full of pics, favorite toys, etc. It has helped me to get through the sorrow and also have something personal to remember them by. I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet angel.:angel:

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, you have my heartfelt sympathies on the passing of your feral sweetheart. :hugs: Second, it was fate that he found your family to take him in and give him his forever home. He repaid your gratitude with unconditional love. One of the traditions I started with each pet that passes is to make a memory box full of pics, favorite toys, etc. It has helped me to get through the sorrow and also have something personal to remember them by. I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP sweet angel.:angel:
Thank you so much, great ideas!! I will definitely make a memory box. I still cannot get over that he’s actually gone. Stages of grief.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am so very sorry for the loss of such a sweet boy. He is at peace, he holds all the love that your family gave him in his heart. The bond between the two of you can never be taken from you, it is spiritual, so eternal. He lived a good long life because of all that love and care, unfortunately it is never enough for us humans. "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened."
He would like nothing more than to see you go forward into the future and seek it's beauty and love. He would like for you to live as you would want for him to go on if you were the first to go. Because that is love and he wants no less.
It hurts to have someone you love leave your life, time is the only thing that helps and it takes a lot of time to heal a broken heart. This is a journey you must take alone because his love is unique to you, no one else. But friends and those who empathize can make it less lonely. Please come here as often as you like, we are always here to lend a friendly ear. we have stood where you stand now and know how devastating this can be. Do not let grief overwhelm you and rule your life. He will always eb a part of you and will never leave you. One day your grief will turn to gratitude for ahving him share yoru life's journey for a while.
Every year I pay for the adoption and sponsor the cat at my local shelter that has been there the longest. i do it all in my beloved's name.......RIP precious Kitty. You will never be forgotten, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. As Margot Lane Margot Lane mentioned, I find writing to them very helpful. I also do shadow box frames to hold their favorite toys, collar , and a photo, photo collage frames, and coffee mugs with their photo.Do whatever is helpful to you, there is no right way. I wish love and peace in your grieving process.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats are special to us in particular ways. Like you said, he was your gateway cat. Sounds like he helped you fall in love with cats and now you have cats of your own. That's very special. He opened your heart, mind, and home to give other cats a good life! I believe that with all things loved, that once they pass they have a greater understanding... So I think he knows you loved him - regardless of you being there in his last moments. Too often the grieving focus on the ending rather than the LIFE. And what a life he probably had! Only greater improved by you and your family's love and care.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Kitty, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

This is the Deepest Truth I know, that love never dies. It is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Kitty knows how much you loved him, he knows how you wish you could have been with him, and he sends his Love back to you to walk with you and your family down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Kitty, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

This is the Deepest Truth I know, that love never dies. It is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Kitty knows how much you loved him, he knows how you wish you could have been with him, and he sends his Love back to you to walk with you and your family down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.
I absolutely love and needed this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart ❤

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry for your loss. I lost two five day old kittens in the past two weeks. It hurts no matter the age, but, I promise you, they only remember love. They remember joy. They remember the human that was kind to them. They are watching over us. I’ll bet he’s helping to look after the new arrivals of the rainbow bridge. He’s looking after my kittens.